1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice
  3. The Teacher Q&A will be closing soon.

If you have any information that you would like to keep or refer to in the future please can you copy and paste the information to a format suitable for you to save or take screen shots of the questions and responses you are interested in.

Don’t forget you can still use the rest of the forums on theTes Community to post questions and get the advice, help and support you require from your peers for all your teaching needs.

Dismiss Notice

General EYFS questions.....

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by giraffe77, Mar 22, 2011.

1. Sorry for the multitude of questions from me tonight, but have got a meeting planned with SMT next week about moving forward within the EYFS, and there are a few questions I need answers to from somebody other than me - in my head everything has turned to marshmallow.
    1) It was brought to my attention last week that there is a legal requirement to get parental contributions towards the profile evidence - can anyone tell me if this is the case, and in what capacity is acceptable / preferred? How do you do this? Value?
    2) Also, to try and cut back on paperwork / time / sanity, I was wondering if myself and my three colleagues started to put together a file, as to how we evidence the profile points, we wouldn't have to do it for each individual child. In more detail, there would be a section for each strand, e.g. linking sounds and letters, and then photographs, observations of how we know a child has achieved each scale point. This can be continually added to, but would be a lot less time-consuming than making 'learning journals' for each child. My way of thinking is that it'd prove that we do know what we're talking about, and what we're looking for, so we can assess the profile without all the paperwork / hair-loss!
    What do you all think? [​IMG]

2. Msz

Msz Established commenter

it is guidance not a requirement http://orderline.qcda.gov.uk/gempdf/1445907496/Engaging_parents_and_children_in_EYFS_profile_assessment.pdf
    this was similar to how my LA worked except they allowed for the file to be built up over a number of years rather than from a single intake (they saw moderation as establishing that the teacher knew what they were looking for when awarding points~)

3. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

I'm sure it's not a legal requirement to get parental contributions to the profile. We always tell parents their contributions are welcome but, to date, I have not received a single one. I suppose it depends on what your parents are like.

4. Our local authority say it is a requirement to have parental and other adult involvement in the learning journals. We have two forms we use. A4 size 8 notlets to a sheet.
    1. Sent home to parents and pinned on our notice board.- WOW - tell us about when your child makes you go wow and let them share their achievement with their class.
    2. For all staff in the school (ecept in reception staff) Did you know..? Tell us about something a reception child has done that you think we should know about. We put these all around the school and teachers, dinner ladies, secretary in fact anyone can complete one. Our priest even did one after mass.

We let the children share them with the rest of the class and then they put them into their learning journals when we talk about what they have achieved. Both notelets are working well but wehave found the parental ones work the best.

5. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

It isn't even a legal requirement to have Learning Journals.

6. when we have a visit from the LA EYFS team they expect to see our learning journals in what ever form we do them and on their tick list there is a place for parental involvement/ child involvement and other adults. So they may not say it is compulsory but it would be a big cross if we did not do it.

7. Msz

they might expect it but you don't legally have to have any

8. They will of course want to see it, but it's not a legal requirement.

9. Beat me to it :)

10. Msz

Sorry but I wonder if staff working with any other key stage would meekly comply with requests for copious amounts of additional paperwork

11. Love this post, and makes me feel happy about having a very similar system beginning to be formed! Thanks, and any other ideas/comments very gratefully received.