1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

General election

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Marshall, Dec 9, 2019.

1. LondonCanary

LondonCanary Star commenter

Colonialists stole it from China. Only Chinese people should drink tea.

alex_teccy likes this.
  2. Oscillatingass

Oscillatingass Star commenter

Darn it, I have been rumbled. I guess I should give up tea and start drinking something more appropriate. Beer it is, then.

3. chelsea2

chelsea2 Star commenter

I have to vote tactically to try and stop the Tories in this marginal. Historically, I have voted Labour. I was swithering towards LibDems, but they'll not be elected here, so it'll have to be Labour, through gritted teeth. The best of a bad bunch.

cissy3 likes this.
  4. LondonCanary

LondonCanary Star commenter

Is it really tactical to vote for the party you always vote for?

5. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

Maybe we need the 'Don't like any of those above' box on the voting form. For those who can't decide, I suppose.

6. Jamvic

Jamvic Star commenter

I wish there was this option on ballot papers too. There will be many people who don’t turn out to vote through disgust at the available options and/or the voting system rather than just not bothering due to general apathy. At least if they had the option to actively choose a no candidate/party option statistics on this group could be produced and questions asked about the size & demographic of the disenfranchised vote. I know they could choose to spoil their paper in silent protest but no one ever knows how many were spoilt deliberately and how many were unintentional.

anotherauntsally and smoothnewt like this.
  7. peakster

peakster Star commenter

Come Friday morning and beyond - the reckoning for all the porkies Johnson has been telling recently will start.

It will be an unhappy few years for UK PLC (what remains of it anyway).

Johnson is NOT what the country needs.

MAGAorMIGA and harsh-but-fair like this.
  8. Morninglover

Morninglover Lead commenter

I don'y always agree with Polly Toynbee, but when she's talking about someone so lacking in empathy and with a record of selfishness and nastiness like Johnson, she's spot on:

"Be very afraid. Boris Johnson will take revenge on all who stood up to him
    He’s targeted the BBC and Channel 4, and the Tory manifesto has plans for a constitutional upheaval and an attack on human rights"

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2019/dec/10/boris-johnson-revenge-bbc-channel-4-manifesto

"In erstwhile Labour-land, Brexit is the tin-opener that gives Conservatives a chance, not with dog-whistle but foghorn. That old populist template casting honest working people as being deceived by “the elite” echoes down the centuries from the far right. Already hard-pressed seats suffer from 10 years of lost public jobs, investment and services, yet Johnson urges them to blame not entitled Etonians but Jeremy Corbyn’s “great betrayal orchestrated from Islington by politicians who sneer at your values and ignore your votes”.

End uncontrolled and unlimited immigration from the EU, take back control from an unelected elite in Brussels.” He tells Sky News he will no longer let EU migrants “treat the UK as if it’s part of their country” – a sinister threat.

If the UK gives him a majority, let no one pretend they didn’t know what he was about. The music is so familiar, we recognise these old Enoch Powell tunes. If some shrug it off as what politicians say to get elected, it’s not. Powell was thrown out of his party, too out of step; yet Johnson has expelled those who won’t sign up to his new Powellism".

9. chelsea2

chelsea2 Star commenter

On this occasion, yes, as I probably would have voted LibDem, not Labour.

Jamvic and LondonCanary like this.
  10. defenceagainstthedarkarts

defenceagainstthedarkarts Occasional commenter

In essence, that's just a non-vote though.

I think that Johnson will get in, and objectively it is all rather interesting.

Jamvic likes this.
  11. Jamvic

Jamvic Star commenter

Or perhaps it’s a vote against the current status quo.

I also think Johnson will get in, and objectively or subjectively that’s as depressing as f***.

smoothnewt likes this.
  12. defenceagainstthedarkarts

defenceagainstthedarkarts Occasional commenter

Government elections are just that - voting for the party or MP you wish to be in power. A spoiled ballot paper is not a vote for anybody, ergo it is not a vote. It is a way of expressing dissatisfaction, but a very ineffective one because no one, having been voted into power, will pause and say "ah, but what about those who ruined their ballot paper?" They will simply take their victory as a victory. If you do not want them to be victorious, you must vote for another. It is hard, when all the parties are flawed, but the answer doesn't lie in spoiled ballot papers.

13. oldsomeman

Nor is Corbyn or Labour. If, as I still believe, we should leave the EU, it seems he is the only one other than Farage, who says we will try and do it.
    Other than sharing with the Tories, Lib-Dems have little real experience of government and a leader whose voice drives me to torment. Greens I don't believe in and really I do not support SNP or Plaid Cymru? separation of our islands.

14. Marshall

Marshall Star commenter

I live in a Tory majority constituency and the other options have little chance but I will still vote against the tories - women died to get the vote.

Wotton and smoothnewt like this.
  15. oldsomeman

Your right is to vote as you see fit.often with little choice of who to vote for. In the end, if you wish to see more of a party in your area you need to get out and work for its growth.
    However, I might remind you that in the growth of women's right vote all parties were basically against them. It was deemed a man's world where even your money you brought to marriage became his!

16. tujeste

tujeste New commenter

I do no who I wont be voting for - I have disliked bullies and abject liars all my life

17. MAGAorMIGA

MAGAorMIGA Star commenter

I'll just remind the Tory voters to make sure they turn out and use their vote this Friday.

18. oldsomeman

That's very sporting of you, for a change. But I think all who have a concern for this country should be voting.