1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

General election

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Marshall, Dec 9, 2019.

1. Marshall

Marshall Star commenter

I don't think I am the only one who doesn't know who to vote for.

The more I watch and read, the more it makes me think that 'normal' people could do far better. That doesn't help us at the minute but the question is who to vote for?

2. needabreak

needabreak Star commenter

How could abnormal people do? :D

3. Morninglover

Morninglover Lead commenter

If none of the parties really attract you, vote for the candidate in your constituency who appeals most and appals least. ,

4. eleanorms

eleanorms Occasional commenter

My always good labour mp resigned from the party and is now standing as an independent, backed as a remain alliance by the Libdems, who are not standing here. The new labour candidate was chosen by central office, is the daughter of another mp and has never had a job outside of unions or politics. Her election literature has obviously been prepared with the remit to not mention Jeremy Corbin or the party manifesto once, so bland is it. The Tory candidate just isn't bothering at all, although he at least seems to have some interest in the town's economic future, but he may as well not turn up on the night. So no, I don't really know for whom to vote either!

Jamvic likes this.
  5. Over_the_hill

Over_the_hill Star commenter

@Marshall, you aren’t alone I really can’t make my mind up either.

Marshall, Jamvic and bombaysapphire like this.
  6. LondonCanary

LondonCanary Star commenter

Greens or LibDem can be a difficult decision.

7. Bedlam3

Bedlam3 Star commenter

Snap. I don't know either. I think I'll probably just go for the Yorkshire Party. I can't bring myself to vote for either of the two front runners.

8. Over_the_hill

Over_the_hill Star commenter

I have listened to all the debates and really tried to inform myself but it’s hard to know what to believe. So many promises flying around!

Jamvic likes this.
  9. smoothnewt

smoothnewt Star commenter

Having arranged a proxy vote on behalf of my husband who has been working in Poland for the past fortnight, I won’t be voting on behalf of either of us as I’m going to join him in Poland for a few days - last minute plan.

Not that it will make any difference as the Tories have a massive majority in this constituency and that is unlikely to change any time soon.

We had a whole load of campaign leaflets through the door the other day - for the wrong constituency! It was the one we used to be in before the last boundary changes. Nobody has been campaigning round here. I guess they see the result as a foregone conclusion so they don’t bother. I’ve come to the point of feeling disenfranchised as my vote counts for nothing.

Jamvic likes this.
  10. needabreak

needabreak Star commenter

Out of interest what it like living in a Tory heartland? Expensive? Nice? Does it make a difference to your services? Just pondering.

11. smoothnewt

smoothnewt Star commenter

It’s a green Outer London borough which is pleasant to live in. It’s actually one of the “cheaper” London boroughs as it is unfashionable, but the schools are generally good. We have good local PCSOs who keep an eye on things, keep us updated and are keen to get residents involved. Many of the parks and open spaces benefit from local volunteers or “friends” who keep them under control - litter picking and pruning, etc. As for services, I can’t really comment as I don’t really need them. However, my mother who lived in a neighbouring Labour borough benefited fantastically when she grew increasingly disabled; far better provision than I anticipate she would have received in my borough.

needabreak likes this.
  12. neddyfonk

neddyfonk Lead commenter

I voted with my 'gut feeling' to leave, but since then came to partially realise how clever the customs union has been designed so that money created by central banks is pumped back and makes it look like it is spent twice which benefits all EU countries. No wonder they scrapped the room full of tanks they used to model our economy - no one would be able to explain the massive tank in the corner that magically kept filling up.
    If leaving was such a good idea we should have been out long ago and I have never seen a good analysis of what benefits anyone would get by leaving.
    Corbyn looked like a good bet, but is showing his true colours by trying to shout louder than anyone else and too many 'silly' objectives.
    If enough people switch to LibDem, we could end up with a Tory/Libdem forced coalition and avoid changes that I feel will hurt everyone.
    Not so much a vote to stay, more a vote to not leave?

13. Oscillatingass

Oscillatingass Star commenter

I like their tea. Gotta be worth a vote (if I lived in their constituency).

14. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

We have a nice range of small and independent candidates...

People don't have to vote for the Tories or Labour...

15. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

It's Culturally Appropriated from India. You filthy Imperialist Capitalist running dog you!!! :p

16. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

If you must vote, and you should, vote for the person standing who is hopefully offering sensible and balanced views
    Of course, if they get in the might not be able to do as they wish, but at least you have used your vote,
    Don't believe all the bribes all parties tell you....most cannot meet the claims they are making.

17. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

If you vote Liberal Democrat you'll not be voting for either Liberalism or Democracy, given that they've arbitrarily decided to ignore the result of a democratic vote and impose their will on the population.

I say that as a Remain voter.

18. littlejackhorner

littlejackhorner Occasional commenter

I totally agree. They lost my vote as soon as they made that decision and I was a Remain voter too.

19. irs1054

irs1054 Star commenter

Except they haven't. They have put their cards on the table and said,"Vote for us and we will revoke A50"
    Now people have a choice they can vote for this or not. If by some incredible chance the LibDems get voted into power then they will have a real mandate to do exactly what they said they would do.

The '16 referendum was advisory so there is nothing undemocratic about this happening.

All this talk of "will of the people" etc is just nonsense. Referendums in this country simply don't work like that.

20. anotherauntsally

anotherauntsally Lead commenter

I don’t really get why people think that. They said they would revoke Article 50 if they became the next government but they will only be able to form a government if enough people vote for them knowing that they intend to revoke Article 50, so what’s not democratic about that? They won’t be imposing their will. If they win, they’ll be implementing a decision made by the majority of voters.