1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

General Election - will you be voting?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by install, Sep 15, 2019.

1. Kandahar

Kandahar Lead commenter

I think he was right first time - but yoiu misread.

"Less big" - as in smaller (words) / not quite so big (a word).
    Fewer would be - not so many (words).

border_walker and install like this.
  2. irs1054

irs1054 Star commenter

The UK is not part of the Eurozone so no action can be taken against the UK if it does not comply with the advice. You have just demonstrated my proposition.

But again this has nothing to do with austerity.

3. artboyusa

artboyusa Star commenter

Did you post that from a Chinese phone?

4. irs1054

irs1054 Star commenter

Governments finance spending either by revenue or borrowing. I'm surprised you didn't know that. Mind you it is something that the Tories have problems with.(along with lots of people generally.

5. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

I'll be interested to learn how you intend to vote @LondonCanary, as you've traditionally supported Tory policy, but also now say leaving the EU is bonkers. Will you be voting for something you agree is bonkers, or placing your vote for the only party capable of stalling the Brexit madness?

What a dilemma...
    upload_2019-12-8_17-9-26.jpeg

6. LondonCanary

LondonCanary Star commenter

I've already said elsewhere I will vote LibDem.

install likes this.
  7. Kandahar

Kandahar Lead commenter

I think that Mr Canary was opting for the Liberal Party.

install likes this.
  8. burajda

burajda Star commenter

Other interpretations are available, the ERM may have been a contributory factor but not the key factor, which was government borrowing that had surged under Major in the run up to the 1992 election. High and expensive borrowing compounded the recession and lower than expected tax revenues accounted for the soaring national debt. The drop in growth was compounded by the high interest rates and that was already the case before the UK briefly joined the ERM. I agree, joining the ERM was a bad idea as Britain was still very dependent on exports valued in dollars such as crude oil.

alex_teccy and Kandahar like this.
  9. LondonCanary

The Excessive Deficit Procedure may be applied to any of the 28 member states not just the Eurozone.
    I did. That's why I was asking you how public sector spending should have been kept much higher over the last 10 years.

Kandahar and install like this.
  10. burajda

burajda Star commenter

Sure there was negative equity and some people suffered but as GDP growth is the measure of recession then Britain was only in recession for a few quarters at the start of the decade. During the the rest of the decade growth was around 3%, amazingly robust by today's standards.

11. irs1054

irs1054 Star commenter

It cannot be enforced outside the Eurozone which is how it becomes advice.

The Tories always had a choice about what to do and chose austerity.

12. LondonCanary

Not really, because they failed to comply with that advice for 9 years i.e. overspent.

install and Kandahar like this.
  13. --Badger--

--Badger-- Occasional commenter

This election is win win. If Labour wins we get rid of the worst government I have ever witnessed.If the Conservatives win Brexit finally gets done. I'm guaranteed to be celebrating on the 13th.

install likes this.
  14. chelsea2

chelsea2 Star commenter

That's clever of them, given they're not in power. How have they managed that?

In any case, EU nationals are already allowed to vote in local authority, mayoral and European parliament elections. (Of course, if I was being picky I would point out that all British people are EU residents!).

Why should Qualifying Commonweath citizens (from countries all round the world) be allowed to vote in UK elections, but not EU nationals resident in the UK?

cissy3 and harsh-but-fair like this.
  15. Wotton

Wotton Lead commenter

Well I'm non the wiser. Have received 2 leaflets from the Tories and 1 from the Lib/dems nothing from anyone else. No one has been to the door "selling their wares". I suppose as we are usually a safe seat for the Tories they think there is no point. Sad really when you can't get to meet the person who is supposed to represent you in parliament and get to know if they are just going to follow the party rule or actually stand up for your area.

install likes this.
  16. Kandahar

Kandahar Lead commenter

You'd best ask Rebecca Long-Bailey

install likes this.
  17. irs1054

irs1054 Star commenter

And your point is?

18. LondonCanary

Austerity wasn't proper austerity

19. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

I'm pleased to learn that. Every vote against the Tories at the current time is a welcome one.

Even if you live in a constituency where the LibDems don't have a hope in hell of winning the seat, it's a vote against the current Tory nonsense. It might be the crucial vote the Tory candidate needed to win the seat, before they have the do the rock, paper and scissors thing or whatever it is they do when there's a tie.

20. Scintillant

Scintillant Star commenter

Yeah. Of course. Everyone says "less big" when they mean "smaller"

tenor.gif