1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

General Election - will you be voting?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by install, Sep 15, 2019.

1. install

install Star commenter

Why should we vote when it is all so messy? And who do we vote for in a General Election? Party loyalty is gone and so has traditional voting.

Given the Lib Dems promised no student fees if they.got in last time - could voters trust them again? Labour have too much in fighting and accusations. And the Tories are playing catch up when they are supposed to be leading the way.

2. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

Posted at 7:32 PM, yet not appearing until 1:31 AM. That's interesting.

Would I be correct in assuming this to be a consequence of premoderation, @install?

If so, I can imagine how frustrating it must have been for you being unable to support @alex_teccy in real time over a cause you share an inane passion for.

Dare I ask what you did to upset the moderators, so I can tempt your mate to try doing it as well?

3. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

I agree it will be difficult to decide who to vote for. Probably Party politics have gone and election promises are not always carried out.

However we are so fortunate to be able to vote as we choose, compared to our ancestors and so I personally belive it is important to vote.

In my case I don't look at the Party, but at the candidates and vote for who I thin will do their best for te local community.

Just my own opinion and I do not intend getting into debate however.

4. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

Lib Dems... (Had they won a majority in 2010 they wouldn't have introduced higher student loans - that was a Tory policy, and they were by far the main partner in the coalition government...)

5. gargs

gargs Star commenter

This.

6. Sundaytrekker

Sundaytrekker Star commenter

Agreed, Gargs and Lara. I’ve always taken the view that women died so I can vote so I will use it. The current mess doesn’t make it an easy decision but the constituency system means that there has been a Tory MP here for all of my voting life. It will almost certainly still be so after the next election.

I will definitely use my vote.

7. install

install Star commenter

Yes voting is important. But one does start to wonder if voting results in anything.

BertieBassett2 likes this.
  8. peakster

peakster Star commenter

The next election will be the most important one for many years. If we elect the Hulk wannabe and his cronies we are basically done for I'm afraid.

dleaf12, Nellyfuf2, Sally006 and 5 others like this.
  9. dumpty

dumpty Star commenter

All depends on Brexit for me. If Boris still goes for deal or walk but has to extend, then Boris. If he sells out and fudges, Nige.

mistermanager, install and a1976 like this.
  10. mothorchid

mothorchid Star commenter

I remember people queuing for days in the sun in South Africa to vote for Nelson Mandela. The suffragettes died for me to be able to vote. The civil rights movement in America had deaths too, in their attempt to get the black community voting rights There are many, many people around the world who still risk danger to try and vote.
    How anyone can not vote is beyond me. Even if you write rude words on the ballot paper, you should vote.
    Mind you, what a dreadful shower there is to chose from...

11. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

I shall vote but haven't decided for whom - which wasn't what you asked of course.

12. LondonCanary

LondonCanary Star commenter

LibDems revoke A50 is a deal clincher for me. Con and Lab are for leave, led by the the woeful leaders.

install, TCSC47, Sally006 and 2 others like this.
  13. ilovesooty

ilovesooty Star commenter

"why should we vote"

I know why I'll be voting. I've no interest in why you should or shouldn't

14. MAGAorMIGA

MAGAorMIGA Star commenter

I don't vote for individuals (except in special circumstances). I vote for parties and therefore the party manifestoes are of paramount importance to me. Labour has by a country mile the best manifesto, therefore they will receive my "X". It has never occurred to me to fail to vote. If I don't vote, someone who has voted emotionally, not rationally, and with no knowledge of what is being offered has not had their vote cancelled out. That's inconceivable.

enyliram, install, Nellyfuf2 and 4 others like this.
  15. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

Crikey!

Agreement breaks out in the ranks!

Yes, I'll be voting. Women fought and died so I could vote.

Yes, I'll be voting. And look at this (below) for another damned fine reason for me to vote.
    Oh, and to expiate my utter shame and self-disgust at having supported Leave in 2016 when I hadn't bothered to be rational and acquaint myself with some knowledge on the subject.

install, JL48, BertieBassett2 and 9 others like this.
  16. border_walker

border_walker Lead commenter

I have heard many say that they will never vote again because they see little point now. Have pleaded with them not to go down this route, but they believe that their vote is worthless. So the turnout at the next election will be interesting.

install likes this.
  17. LondonCanary

LondonCanary Star commenter

You could be adding to it their vote.

install likes this.
  18. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

Unfortunately, if you don't vote then you cannot complain about it. Voting for all was accepted after long struggles and against bitter opposition, so we should use our vote, maybe with a modicum of intelligence. I certainly shall at the time although, because I do a postal vote, I have to work in advance.
    PS]
    I am tending to think all folk should be made to vote compulsory and stop this nonsense comment about voting percentage we saw in the last debacle. Plus it might make the parties get their act together.
    I also believe all parties should set out clearly the costs and projections of their declarations of intents.

JL48, Rach05, border_walker and 3 others like this.
  19. NoseyMatronType

NoseyMatronType Lead commenter

Johnson - a serial liar who tries to conceal the fact that he is only out for himself behind a nationalistic smokescreen.

Corbyn - not as bad as he's made out to be but too ideological for me.

Farage - quite apart from his stance on the EU, his flirtation with Putin's dismal kleptocracy is an additional concern.

Green Party - it's probably already too late.

https://www.newyorker.com/culture/cultural-comment/what-if-we-stopped-pretending

Etc. Etc.

I realize that I should vote and probably will next time. But there's not much of a choice, is there?

needabreak, JL48, Nellyfuf2 and 5 others like this.
  20. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

You forgot the Lib Dems.

install and Lara mfl 05 like this.