1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

General Comments - Reports

Discussion in 'Primary' started by hotchoc6, May 28, 2019.

1. hotchoc6

hotchoc6 Occasional commenter

Are there any good examples of general summary comments for primary reports on the internet? Please post the link on here if you know of any.

Thank you for your help.

2. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

But you've been teaching since at least 2012, surely you have a whole bank of your own comments built up over the years?

nomad and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  3. Josh7

Josh7 Occasional commenter

Yes.

Sometimes the golden oldies are the best.

• Would be lazy but for absence.
    • Since my last report, your child has reached rock bottom and has started to dig.
    • Your son sets low personal standards and then consistently fails to achieve them.
    • Works well when under constant supervision and cornered like a rat in a trap.
    • This student should go far, and the sooner he starts, the better.
    • This young lady has delusions of adequacy.
    • He has lots of good ideas but needs to learn that others do too.
    • It would seem that he thinks he is running the school and not me. If this attitude persists one of us will have to leave.
    • This student is depriving a village somewhere of an idiot.

Don't forget the hidden meanings.

1. Your son has a remarkable ability in gathering needed information from his classmates.
    (He was caught cheating on a test).

2. Karen is an endless fund of energy and viability.
    (The hyperactive monster can't stay seated for five minutes).

3. Fantastic imagination! Unmatched in his capacity for blending fact with fiction.
    (He's definitely one of the biggest liars I have ever met).

4. Margie exhibits a casual, relaxed attitude to school, indicating that high expectations don't intimidate her.
    (The lazy thing hasn't finished one piece of work all year).

5. Her athletic ability is marvellous. Superior hand-eye coordination.
    (The little creep stung me with a rubber band from 15 feet away).

6. Nick thrives on interaction with his peers.
    (Your son needs to stop socializing and start working).

7. Your daughter's greatest asset is her demonstrative public discussions.
    (disruptive, always answers back).

8. John enjoys the thrill of engaging challenges with his peers.
    (He's a bully).

9. An adventurous nature lover who rarely misses opportunities to explore new territory.
    (Your daughter was caught skipping school many times, she also ******** off on a school trip).

10. I am amazed at her tenacity in retaining her youthful personality.
    (She's so immature that we've run out of nappies).

11. Unlike some students who hide their emotion, Charles is very expressive and open.
    (He must have written the Idiots' Guide to Whinging).

12. I firmly believe that her intellectual and emotional progress would be enhanced through a year's repetition of her learning environment.
    (Regretfully, we believe that she is not ready for the juniors and must repeat Year Two).

13. Her exuberant verbosity is awesome!
    (A mouth that never stops yacking OR
    Is able to imaginatively express his thoughts in various media.
    (Caught writing on bathroom walls.)

14. Displays leadership ability.
    (Bossy.)

15. Has potential to stand out from his peers.
    (Will be seen on a Wanted Poster outside a police station.)

16. Technologically proficient. (Hacked into school computer system)

17. Handwriting is excellent. (Forges parents' signatures.)

18. Creatively expresses himself. (Uses profanity.)

19. Has materials available at all times. (Desk overflowing with ****.)

20. Talented artist. (Draws pictures in class.)

21. Independent thinker. (Does not follow directions.)

22. Others look to her for guidance. (Bad influence.)

23. Excellent multi-tasking abilities. (Does not pay attention.)

24. Finishes all assignments quickly. ( Sloppy, careless work.)

25. Maintains constant cheerful attitude. (Nothing phases him.)

4. Juliet6079

Juliet6079 New commenter

****** have a bank of report statements. They're not all ideal and obviously very generic, but as an NQT I've found them a good place to start :)

5. Juliet6079

Juliet6079 New commenter

wow..... I'm not allowed to use that word! Hilarious! Tw......l resources website!

6. CarrieV

CarrieV Lead commenter

But the general comments shouldn't need a report bank. These are the personal comments ( although perhaps not quite as personal as those that Josh7 has kindly provided!) which reflect each pupil rather than the generic subject comments. Just write something unique about each child ( and I have to write 270 individual comments so some imagination is required!) and you can't go far wrong!

7. Pomza

Pomza Star commenter

Just write your own.

In the long-run it will be quicker than messing about finding things to copy, which you’ll then have to adapt anyway.

Plus, it will save you from the risk of embarrassing errors.

8. Piscean1

Piscean1 Senior commenter

Give yourself a format and then it's very easy to write something for each child because it's essentially a writing frame. My basic format for general comments is:

How the year's been overall.

General comment on some of their personality characteristics and behaviour.

What they've particularly enjoyed or been part of club wise. I ask my kids what clubs etc. they've done and if they've represented the school at anything. I generally know but I'd hate to miss somebody so I get them to write it down.

Target and good luck for the next year. If they're well behaved, normally something along the lines of keep it up/maintain the high standards they've set themselves. If they're less inclined to behave then a more specific "x will need to make sure that she.... next year so that she can achieve everything she is capable of."

nmason, Ds2d12 and (deleted member) like this.
  9. Ds2d12

Ds2d12 Occasional commenter

Piscean has the answer for your first year at a school...

Then from then on in, it’s copy and paste last year’s. Most children can be compared to previous children easily. “Oh Daniel is similar to Freddy last year”. Then just tweak to make more personal. Eg, if last year you mention how Freddy excelled in football club, then change it to cricket club or whatever Daniel does. You get the drift.

We really shouldn’t be spending hours creating and agonising over reports. they’re literally read for about 5 mins. Yes some parents treasure them for years, but even so. Work/life balance!

1 person likes this.
  10. nomad

nomad Star commenter

This!

and this!

11. nical73

nical73 Occasional commenter

Much easier to write your own. Every child is unique

ViolaClef likes this.
  12. ViolaClef

ViolaClef Lead commenter

Absolutely.
    What do you want to say about this particular child at this stage of their education and life-experience? What can you praise? What can you encourage?

13. blue451

blue451 Established commenter

I know reports should be personal rather than from a report bank, but sometimes such resources are really useful just to get started. I often get into a rut and find myself writing the same three or four phrases with minor variations. Reading through some other examples can help to reset my thinking and give me more variety in the way I write things.