1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

General Advice - 5 year rule and possible to do NQT year in SEN?

Discussion in 'NQTs and new teachers' started by Sian091, Nov 12, 2015.

1. Sian091

Sian091 New commenter

Hi all,

I'm new to the forums and could really do with some advice at the minute.

I qualified in June 2014 as an English teacher and since have done a short-term post (less than 2 months) in a school before moving into supply and tutoring for 6 months, so am still an NQT. I've had some horrible experiences both during and since my training, which have nearly drove me out of the profession altogether - they definitely drove me out of mainstream teaching.

I'm now working as a TA in a Special Needs School (wanted the SEN experience, loved the school and wanted to rebuild confidence) and absolutely love it. I'm in an environment that makes me want to give teaching another try, and am eager to find a position in an SEN school to complete my NQT year. I've looked for clarification though, but am still confused - is completing my NQT year in a SEN school actually possible?

And as well, I'm confused with the '5 year rule' about starting Induction. We may be moving to a different part of the country within the next few years which will limit my options somewhat - if I don't start induction within 5 years of qualifying, what will that mean for doing supply teaching? Will I be able to complete my NQT year later if I miss the 5 year period? And if I am able to start it later, are there any limits about where/how I do it (e.g. could I still do it in an SEN school if that's possible)?

Any advice would be really appreciated!

2. sofia_sen

sofia_sen Occasional commenter

Yes, it is possible to complete your NQT year in a SEN school, I am doing that at the moment. I did the SD salaried route last year at the same school with a compulsory half term placement at a mainstream school. Last year we had a PGCE student who did her NQT at my school as well.
    I know that a primary QTS qualifies you to teach all age groups at a SEN school, even secondary. I also know a secondary trained teacher who teaches primary at a SEN school so that shouldn't be a problem.

Can't help you with the 5 years rule though.

3. John_in_Luton

John_in_Luton Occasional commenter

The five year rule only affects supply teaching. After five years from your date of gaining QTS, you can no longer do casual supply (i.e. short-term arrangements), you can only teach in situations which meet the criteria for continuing / completing induction, e.g. contracts for at least a term.

4. Sian091

Sian091 New commenter

Thank you so much for your replies, it puts my mind at ease somewhat. SEN teaching is what I want to do, and as it'll soon be 2 years since gaining QTS I was getting anxious regarding the '5 years' situation and I wanted to understand it more.

So just to make sure I've got this right, I can start induction at any time after gaining QTS, but after 5 years I can't do supply teaching of less than a term? Would this mean that any schools I worked at as a supply teacher for a term or more would have to support me with the NQT year? I'm guessing if I don't begin my NQT year within 5 years of gaining QTS it'll be much more difficult to get an NQT position as it'll be harder to get experience without day-to-day or short term supply.

5. John_in_Luton

John_in_Luton Occasional commenter

1. Yes, correct in maintained schools, and likely to be applied also in good academies.
    2. If they're a maintained school, yes, it's mandatory. A good academy or independent school, and maybe some free schools, should also be willing to put you through induction under these circumstances.
    3. Realistically, yes this is probably an accurate assessment.

6. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

If you are at a school for a term's length, whether full time of part time, whether on a contract or a daily paid temporary teacher, you have to be put through the Induction process, with the requisite 10% reduced timetable.
    A term's length means employment from any point in one school term to at least the same point in the next school term (assuming a 3 term school year). Don't let any school say that you have to wait until the first day of a new term to be on Induction. If it's known from the start (or from an later point in the employment) that you are expected to still be teaching there one term's length down the line, it's Induction teaching.
    If 5 years have elapsed from getting QTS officially (probably conferred in the August after training course finished) and you haven't yet started or completed Induction, you cannot be employed as a teacher again in the State 5-16 yrs age range until you have Induction work. You can be employed as a Cover Supervisor or TA or as a teacher in the Private sector.