1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Gender and Literacy: Dissertation HELP!!

Discussion in 'English' started by lildebixx, Jul 30, 2012.

1. Hi,
    I am about to start my fourth year of the BEd Primary Education course and I have my dissertation to complete this year.
    I was thinking about researching gender and literacy, although I have no idea what specifically I can research within this area.
    Does anyone have any advice or areas that may be interesting to research within this topic.
    Any response would be appreciated,
    Debbie.

2. Underacheiving boys is a big concern. Various ways to approach this: why, how to combat it, in tackling the issue are we doing girls a disservice?

3. maltesefalcon

maltesefalcon New commenter

It is a good idea for a research topic. In some schools they put girls and boys into different groups for GCSE English to try and improve results choosing boy and girl friendly books, different teaching methods etc. I did a teaching practice at a boys' school and it was interesting to see the texts they studied a James Bond book, The Riddle of the Sands, Lord of the Flies etc. and also how fast paced and focused the teaching was. 'You've got 5 minutes write down 3 facts about ...'

4. ukred

ukred New commenter

I agree this is a good topic. I work in a BESD school for mainly boys (a few girls now). Boys traditionally dislike literacy/English. I have found my classes no exception. Some psychologists have the view that boys are 'wired up' differently and that's why they are usually slower readers - good one for an argument. In GOOGLE, search: Reading Champions and Premier League Reading Stars. Both primarily aimed at boys. A lot of football clubs are doing literacy stuff to engage boys. Also, the male prison population has an unbelievably high proportion of 'illiteracy'. A brilliant dissertation topic. Go for it.
    Hope this helps!