Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.
Don't forget to look at the how to guide.
Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by jennybilham, Jan 15, 2019.
Does anyone have any experience of working in a GEMs education school? Particularly in Dubai
Never worked for GEMS but have met a few GEMS teachers here in Abu Dhabi over the years. My impression is that it's a decent place to work, but they have a lot of schools/branches so it may vary between them?
I currently work for GEMS in Dubai and I am happy to answer any questions you have either on here on by a message.
It's not a bad place to work at all. There are plenty, plenty worse place and also some better places. However, the schools vary hugely. There are Premium Plus, Premium, Mid market, mid market plus etc and then there are also British, IB, American and Indian curriculum schools. I work in a British curriculum school and I like it. I have days where I hate it but don't we all.....
Hi @mungomango, I'm a UK chemistry teacher thinking about applying to a GEMS school in Dubai and have a few questions.
1. What sort of package should I expect to be offered? (I'm not married or a parent so not expecting all of those related benefits)
2. What sort of questions should I expect if I get an interview?
3. How does the work-life balance compare to working in the UK (if you have UK teaching experience)?
4. Any advice/tips for any of the application process
Any help or answers will be massively appreciated, thanks!
1. Package wise - depends how many years teaching but between 11-15k per month probably. A one bed apartment in a great central location.
2. If you get an interview - questions about your own teaching - differentiation, planning a unit, working with colleagues etc. Why do you want to work in Dubai? How resilient are you?
3. I have worked in the UK before but about 12 years ago now - I've worked in 2 countries prior to Dubai. It's a lot of work here, but I think it's still better than the UK. You still have marking, planning, ECAs, intervention sessions etc. There are a lot of pressures on schools here as we are inspected annually. But you can go to the beach on the weekend etc.
4. Not sure I have any tips - just detail your experiences.
I just read that teacher's spouse and family get no benefits though. So not good for families.
Hiya, I’m also looking to bring my family abroad. Should I no longer bother looking in Dubai? Singles preferred only? Thanks
The world is a big place with many great great opportunities. Dont narrow your focus until you really see whats out there.
You have missed the main recruitment season by a fair margin. Yes there will be some jobs left, but nothing like the main season. It generally runs from september to February ....march at a push. Join Search Associates