1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

GEMS Education

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by 123flowers, Oct 16, 2016.

1. february31st

february31st Established commenter

Qualified, experienced and expensive is your problem as well as mine.

For profit organizations like cheap labour that will do as its told and be grateful for the job.

2. taiyah

taiyah Occasional commenter

@kmrauber simple number game play a huge part, not isolated in these set of jewels either. If you can stay in Switzerland with your high salary then do. The economy all over the world isn’t as healthy as it was once.

Many are trying to lower their labour costs which is understandable in this economic climate. With 2 dependents + a husband/partner to pay for before buying your ticket; a single teacher with the same experience and qualifications such as yourself is simply a better option.

In these neck of the woods for example, in a department, 2-3 experienced souls such as yourself are balanced out by 2-3 teachers with NQT to <5 years experience.

All the best for the rest of your job hunt.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2019
  3. ToK-tastic

ToK-tastic New commenter

@kmrauber look for jobs at established, large, big name schools. They're less cost sensitive than the middle & lower tier schools. You clearly have great experience, excellent skills etc. Tier 1 schools will value all of that experience over the cost differences of you vs a less experienced colleague.

4. tharrison14

tharrison14 New commenter

Hi I just applied to a school and I don’t know if you’ll see this but it’s worth a shot! I just wondered how long the whole process was for you? How long was it from the closing day until they contacted you and at what point they offered you the interview!! Any tips or advice would be greatly appreciated!!