1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

GEMS Education

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by 123flowers, Oct 16, 2016.

1. percy topliss

percy topliss Established commenter

Tamsyn, it is pinch of salt time. I have worked at places where others hated it and I loved it and vice versa. As ever just give it a go and see how you feel. If you keep reading the negatives on here it will put you off before you get on the plane!

Good luck,

Perce

2. 123flowers

123flowers Occasional commenter

Yeahh I am excited to go and get the experience! like you said everyone has different views on places and I will only know when I am out there :)
    Thanks!

3. dumbbells66

dumbbells66 Lead commenter

the American ones seem to pay more than the World academy's, and both of them are roughly paying $10 000 a year more than the other levels.

but you are right Tamsyn92, each of us will have a different experience, and you wont find out until you go there.

good luck

4. 123flowers

Yes definitely! I think I have been given a good salary. It's more then I would earn in the UK for at least another 2 years maybe, so I am happy with it. If I don't like it I can come home! simples :)

5. dumbbells66

there are so many people on this forum that started out saying, "i'll just go for a few years", and they are still abroad 10 years later. i am honestly one of those that just knows i will never go back. and unless you are one of those "super" teachers on the high money in the Uk, then you will always be taking home more than you would in the UK. i have never saved anything less than a thousand pounds a month since i have been away. not many teachers in the UK could do that. and before anyone jumps in here and says something about "yes but you have a pension in the UK", i have a private one, and does anyone really think there will be much of a state pension scheme in 30 years ???? just a thought.

good luck

AndyBeazer likes this.
  6. 123flowers

Yes I do think teachers are underpaid in the UK, hence why going internationally. I am hoping like yourself to love it and never want to go home! and teach in different places. A pension is one thing I suppose you don't get but like you said you can open a private one or worry about that when you get to it lol!

7. MEC2013

MEC2013 New commenter

Two types of teachers do badly at Gems and their ilk. Whiners and those who can't turn a blinds eye.
    Keep your head down, work hard but not so hard that you become a target, and you'll do well.

two_tenors likes this.
  8. 123flowers

have you worked for GEMS yourself?

9. princecaspian1

princecaspian1 New commenter

So a UK teacher on £35k a year can't save £1000 a month? Why not? It's £3000 a month and you probably can get by on £1500 a month or less than that even if you really want to in the UK leaving you saving £1500.

10. princecaspian1

So you think £24000-£107000 is badly paid in the UK for teachers on a sliding scale? You really think they are paid more abroad? Only if you are on big wages in the UK are you paid similar abroad and only if you pick the right school. Some teachers abroad are on less than teachers in the UK with similar experience.

11. dumbbells66

Im an ordinary classroom teacher, with no roles of responsibilities and i earn more.

I have plenty of teacher friends back home who are very high levels on the scale, and they dont come even close to saving anything near to what i do.

12. dumbbells66

A teacher earning 24k a year will take home 1624 after deductions according to moneysavingexperts tax calculator, so once they pay out rent, food, car etc i would be amazed if they save anything at all. And how many teacher in all reality are on 107000 a year? Less than half a percent?

13. fsmc

fsmc Occasional commenter

LOL.

Your 3000 a month is 2000 after taxes, and only NET salary is important, gross is irrelevant. So no, you can't save 1500 or anything close to it.

35k is also well above average for a UK teacher.

chloemcconville and dumbbells66 like this.
  14. princecaspian1

Even on 2000 NET you could still save 1000 of that by just spending 1000. And I think quite a lot of teachers must be on 35k or more what you talking about? 24k is the salary an NQT gets and it goes up each year. You are just a student if I remember so you don't know anything really. You just juggle figures all the time LOL. Get real. Teachers abroad only eanr a lot more if they have the relevant experience in the UK or at other international schools FIRST. Schools don't automatically say "right you NQT can have $60,000 salary" It just wouldn't happen. You need many years experience to get mega bucks abroad unless maybe you got the sand pits.

15. Alldone

Alldone Senior commenter

The only teachers I know who are saving £1000 a month are couples - where both are teachers taking home around £2000 each. Helps if they are at same school and only have one car. Most teachers have mortgages to pay so if only one income then unlikely to save £1000 a month.

16. dumbbells66

my school employed two NQT's last year (well, the equivalent in their countries) and we pay a hell of a lot more than $60 000 a year.

most of the teachers i know in the UK live pay cheque to pay cheque, and they have been teaching for years. i would be very surprised if many teachers in the UK are saving very much at all.

17. dumbbells66

The big saving that international teachers have over the UK is the majority of us dont pay for accomadation. That saves a huge amount.

sara2323 likes this.
  18. fsmc

fsmc Occasional commenter

$60k right out the blocks would be extremely rare. But you need a lot less than that before you're better off than the UK teacher!

For a start, an NQT gets £22,467, not £24k (https://getintoteaching.education.gov.uk/funding-and-salary/teacher-salaries). After tax, that's £1,500 a month. Accomodation is going to cost you at least £400 a month, and you'll likely be sharing for that price and living in the North. So you've actually got £1,100 disposable income per month, which is well below...umm...just about anywhere abroad.

If you're earning $20,000 after tax and get free accomodation, you're doing better than a UK NQT. Anybody can do that - even ESL teachers in Japan/Korea/China do better, with a WHOLE lot less stress, hours, and work standards needed.

suem75, Alldone and dumbbells66 like this.
  19. princecaspian1

ESL teachers in Japan/Korea/China have to have a bachelor's degree so they are all educated teachers. Some have a CELTA/TEFl too like me. Japan is expensive though and only really university English teachers on a big salary can save in japan. Most Esl posts in Japan pay 250,000 yen a month gross without accommodation. You need to do privates in Japan and Korea and China to make enough money. I know. I am here teaching EFL right as we speak. Luckily I have an interview for an EAL position though which will be more than what I am on. Yeh, there;s no meetings to go to, no prep for what I teach since it's just reading books to kids and no observations or lesson plans required. Just set Home work that's it Job done. Easy peasy. But it's 2300 dollars a month not 5000! Like I said you need privates to make an extra 1000 dollars a month esl teaching in Asia.

Dumbells, your school may have very well paid more than $60k to NQTs but the vast majority of intl schools wouldn't I don't believe. If they did, every nQT would seek posts abroad as soon as they got they PGCE.

20. GrayFox23

GrayFox23 New commenter

You have no idea what you're talking about. Have you tried living in London on 2000 per month?

ToK-tastic likes this.