1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

GEMS Education

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by 123flowers, Oct 16, 2016.

1. 123flowers

123flowers Occasional commenter

Hello!
    Does anybody have any experience of working withe GEMS Education in Dubai?
    I have heard mixed reviews about them! one of them been the salary!

Its so hard ( just like in England) to find the right school. Its a long way to go to "not like it"

Any advice would be great
    Thanks
    Tamsyn :)

2. raqeem

raqeem New commenter

Hi Tamsyn did you hear anything about gems?

3. dumbbells66

dumbbells66 Lead commenter

Never worked for them, never known anyone that has, but from the reputation they have on the circuit, they are not the best. But everyone has to start somewhere. It could be your only option to get on the circuit, and once you have proven yourself on the circuit jobs are much easier to get.

percy topliss likes this.
  4. Ceecees

Ceecees New commenter

Sent you a PM.

5. 03mkk

03mkk New commenter

I started at one in Dubai in August. The admin and transition out here is quite smooth and although it isn't the highest salary I've heard about, the accommodation and package included some flights is decent. Some of the schools are better than others though so do your research. I'm enjoying it so far and don't regret leaving the UK.

TeacherPure and AndyBeazer like this.
  6. 123flowers

Hey Guys sorry its been ages!
    I got the job with a GEMS school and have accepted it!
    School looks amazing and I am looking forward to =D

TeacherPure and AndyBeazer like this.
  7. AndyBeazer

AndyBeazer New commenter

Hi,

I have been looking at Gems Education school and looking to take that next step of teaching abroad next year. Is it best to apply to several schools or a school that I'm particularly interested in teaching in?

8. 123flowers

I applied last year aswell as this year but didn't end up going this year for many reasons. Last year I applied for a few jobs at one time. This year I applied for GEMS first and then got an interview and got the job! Some people might say wow that was fast accepting the job and we are only in November, but I really wanted it and I felt if I turned it down I might not get the chance again!

9. dumbbells66

Nothing uncommon about accepting a job offer in November for the following year. In fact its very common, i have never gone past December without accepting a job. My current job i accepted in the middle of September.

10. Skafi

Skafi New commenter

Hi Tamsyn,

I am also interested in a job at a GEMS school in Dubai and am in the same situation as you were, hoping to move abroad but not too sure of where is best to start and what to be aware of. What is the package like that they have offered you? Do you have any tips?

Any advice very welcome!

11. 123flowers

Hello!
    Oh yeahh I know there is some vaccines at the moment for their schools. I had my interview in Manchester at the end of October! Was a good experience actually! In terms of packages, I get the normal like visas, health and an apartment! anything else you would like to know? :)

12. Skafi

Skafi New commenter

Thanks, sounds great! Congratulations on the job, you must be very excited.
    I've heard they're teaching is of a high quality but don't know much about the well being of staff. Have you heard much?

13. dumbbells66

not sure where you have heard about the "high quality" of their teaching. Most of the stuff i have heard about this group on the circuit is not overly positive. it is definitely not considered a High tier school. but that is just rumours and gossip from international teachers. i don't have any direct experience of them to work for.

14. dumbbells66

we do all however have to start somewhere. my first international school was an horrendous hell hole in Spain. but i have since moved onto much bigger and better things.

15. 123flowers

I have heard very positive things about them, so like you said it might be your experience of them. And I agree we all have to start somewhere!

16. 123flowers

Yeahh I have heard mixed but most are positive, all the GEMS schools are different so it might be which ever one you get. But I can't wait, my interview was done by a lovely head of year and it made me excited to be in that school ( if that makes sense lol) I think it will be one of those " until I am there I won't know" and like other people said it's a stepping stone, we all have to start somewhere. But I am happy with my decision to take the job and the school.

17. migratingbird

migratingbird Occasional commenter

GEMS has 4 "levels" of schools, and I think the quality of teaching/the package offered/etc is dependant on the "level". World Acadamies are at the top. I think Westminster schools are at the bottom.

18. dumbbells66

it also depends on which country they are in. the Singapore one pays a lot more than any in the UAE.

19. 123flowers

I aren't sure about the "levels" as I haven't heard anything. And yes some countries do pay more but it all depends on what country you want

20. migratingbird

migratingbird Occasional commenter

I worked for GEMS. There are 4 levels. I just can't quite remember the exact order. World Academies definitely at the top, Cambridge is the third tier. It's Winchester and Westminster I can't quite remember. I'm also not sure where the American curriculum schools fit into the model. I didn't work in Dubai, but we often had people from Dubai visiting the school. A lot of them had worked for GEMS for a long time, which suggests working for GEMS in Dubai (as opposed to outside of Dubai) could be great.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2016
    AndyBeazer likes this.