1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Geek thread

Discussion in 'Entertainment' started by lanokia, Aug 12, 2016.

1. Moony

Moony Lead commenter

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  2. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

81 years old... nice one Kenny!

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  3. Moony

Moony Lead commenter

83!!

My man beast met him one time apparently, he's also GMed for Warrick Davies and Jeremy Bulloch.

As I understand it there were no disintergrations.

4. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

According to the Beeb he was 81... born in 1934...

upload_2016-8-13_20-33-49.png

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  5. Moony

Moony Lead commenter

Hmmmm.....they said 83 in the Guardian.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  6. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Either way... a fine age... especially considering what you said in post #21

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  7. Moony

Moony Lead commenter

Yep, totally. :)

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  8. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

9. Moony

Moony Lead commenter

Hmmmm.......no idea, either way it was a good run :)

10. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Haha least I wasn't alone being awake at stupid-o-clock....

Moony likes this.
  11. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Just to promote this amazing looking Warhammer 40K fan movie really...

12. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

The Force Awakens - talk about a geekdom box-ticking exercise. Very disappointing.

So, has anyone else pre-ordered Alan Moore's long awaited novel (yes, novel) Jerusalem? Due for release next month. I heard him do a reading of an extract a few years ago when he was a guest speaker at my daughter's Uni - all very stream of consciousness. Can't wait.

13. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

An Alan Moore novel you say? Well colour me interested [as my signature should make clear]...

Always liked his work.

SW:TFA was necessary in that format to return the franchise to it's pre-prequels roots. TFA basically rehashed E4+5 ... a reminder... hopefully Rogue One and Ep8 will go in more interesting directions.

14. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

OK, I admit it... I got excited by this...

Moony likes this.
  15. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Here's a controversial thought...

We've had 3 Superman movies in the last ten years and this...

[​IMG]

was the best one....

16. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

17. Flere-Imsaho

Flere-Imsaho Star commenter

@lanokia Yes...
    What did you think? I really enjoyed it despite thinking they sprinkled in a few too many interesting characters just to kill them off AND thinking it was at heart a WW2 movie. Some of the Alliance people even had air force moustaches and I'm pretty sure there was a "fight them on the beaches" line! I did like the effort made to match to the New Hope timeline and themes.

Moony likes this.
  18. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Ah... are we doing spoilers? OK...

Really really liked it... loved Felicity Jones' character... much better than Rey in SW7... loved the sarky droid... Riz Ahmed was good as Bodie... I loved that they made me care about these characters and then had the balls to kill them... it was heart breaking but true to the nature of the story. I genuinely can't think of many criticisms... maybe the CGI alien slug thing? And Forest Whittaker was a bit wasted... the Rebellion didn't seem too sure of actually being in a rebellion...

Loved Peter Cushing being back! Sure it wasn't seamless but it was 99% and I just loved seeing him again.

19. Flere-Imsaho

Flere-Imsaho Star commenter

I think I prefer Rey.
    But one of the things I liked about this film was that it was a whole story in one film. TFA is a part in a trilogy and I think it suffers as a result - too much to introduce and set up for later events.

20. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Prefer Rey? ...

Takes all sorts :p

I get what you mean... R1 was playing in an established sandpit... TFA was trying to craft new elements... unfortunately it did it very badly.

It's interesting, both of these were conservative films... neither did anything radical with the material. But Rogue One was radical within the confines of the premise... TFA, which arguably had greater freedom, played it so safe as to be near soporific.