1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

GDPR Teachers Planners and Marking

Discussion in 'Education news' started by ridleyrumpus, Nov 24, 2017.

1. drvs

drvs Star commenter

In my last state sector observation (under a new head) I chose not to produce the required lesson pack. In feedback, the head went along the lines of "it was a great lesson but ..." which we discussed at length until we identified that:

a) being a great teacher is of little use in modern state schools if you don't provide the required evidence to prove that you're a great teacher, and:

b) it was time for me to leave the state maintained sector.

2. lizziescat

lizziescat Star commenter

But wouldn’t it also have my data in it to. The grades I’ve given, the comments I’d made. All indications of my ability as a teacher etc.

Could someone inform OFSTED

Damn.
    Rott please don’t confuse the issue with knowledge let alone common sense. I was about to be tempted back into teaching.

Rott Weiler likes this.
  3. Jolly_Roger12

Jolly_Roger12 Occasional commenter

I know what you mean, @drvs. The turning point for me, although I was not bright enough to recognise it at the time, was told, after an LO, that my lesson plan 'showed no evidence of my knowledge base'. When I asked the observer what he meant by this, he told me, pompously, that 'I had not cited a textbook to show the source of the knowledge that I was imparting to the students'. Only later, when I thought about this, it dawned on my me he implied that I was not trusted to know anything about my subject!

agathamorse and drvs like this.
  4. drek

drek Lead commenter

Anyone who wants to sound leader like now sends an email with the keyphrase gdpr compliant in it somewhere.

And Once again at secondary schools those staff doing around 400 + contact hours more than others in the zsame department are being overloaded with instructions about what to do with thousands of papers and exercise books that students should have taken home in the first place.
    As with every other school policy, the workload and admin is not spread out fairly following poor leadership directives......
    If a bank sends us a letter with our details on, we don't post it back for them to shred.
    We did the same when we were at school. End of year any classwork was our responsibility to shred or keep.
    Our teachers did not suddenly become our disposal technicians on top of teaching and everything else.

5. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

Are you on STPCD @drek?

If so being asked to shred pupils' books is a task you cannot be required to do.

STPCD 2017

52.8. A teacher should not be required routinely to participate in any administrative, clerical and organisational tasks which do not call for the exercise of a teacher’s professional skills and judgment, …

6. JaquesJaquesLiverot

JaquesJaquesLiverot Established commenter

Surely if the number or barcode can be used to identify the student then it's no better than the name?

7. Rott Weiler

A code for an individual might not be personal information. It depends whether it is reasonably likely that the code, taken together with other available information, could be used to identify the individual. So not possible to say in general whether a barcode would or would not be personal information covered by GDPR. It would be fact-specific to the particular circumstances in that school.

8. pair_of_argyles

pair_of_argyles Occasional commenter

As computers can now fairly accurately ID people from their faces*
    Should we insist that all students (and staff) wear paper bags on their heads ?

*at least for a small data set like a school

9. Rott Weiler

Maybe all those schools that ban the burqa got it wrong. Make the burqa compulsory regardless of religion or gender and all your GDPR problems solved :)

SomethingWicked and FrankWolley like this.
  10. drek

drek Lead commenter

We are one of the schools run by a trust. And all 5 school data managers have instructed us teachers to prepare thousands of books and tests for shredding.........that means tearing the first page off with a student name on apparently.
    Some departments see the students 5 or 6 times a week. Consequently have a lot more ‘tearing up’ to do....
    If these data managers had thought ahead as part of their own roles....we could have sent the work home with the students before they left.......
    It’s all nonsense but it has just increased the workload for all and once again those with more teaching hours have more admin work per student they teach....

agathamorse likes this.
  11. Rott Weiler

So why are you doing it @drek? I asked earlier but you didn't respond. If you are on STPCD it's an admin job you can't be asked to do. Just take all the books down to the data managers and leave them to get on with it!

12. felice777

felice777 New commenter

this kind of policy means teachers have less time to plan and teach good lessons. it's such a shame.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2018
    agathamorse likes this.
  13. JaquesJaquesLiverot

JaquesJaquesLiverot Established commenter

Wouldn't it be easier to let the students take them home and let them worry about what happens with their data?

agathamorse and FrankWolley like this.