1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

GDPR Teachers Planners and Marking

Discussion in 'Education news' started by ridleyrumpus, Nov 24, 2017.

1. gigaswitch1

gigaswitch1 Occasional commenter

You should already have a DPA officer. The reality is that not much has changed between the DPA and the GDPR except the fine has increased massively. Markbooks or seating plans with names associated with any type of detail on has always been against the DPA and your school could have been prosecuted for it. Someone mentioned on facebook about their books having the pupils grades on, that is also against the DPA/GDPR; target grades should not be on the front of their books, all their details should be kept secure. We might think that it is picky, but would you like to see the HT walking around with your observation grade or pay scale wrote on it?
    Nothing should be printed out with a pupils name on it with any detail about them, if you have to make a code up that you can recognise; e.g red for pupil premium and yellow for EAL.

2. sparkleghirl

sparkleghirl Star commenter

So I shouldn't be marking exams at home?

drek and chelsea2 like this.
  3. drvs

drvs Star commenter

Take heart from the fact that you are in the majority - your leadership team are idiots :)

4. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Lead commenter Forum guide

That's nonsense. It's exactly the sort of thing ICO tries to counter on its 'myth busters' blogs. There are no such laws. Data Protections requires proper systems and data safeguards of course, but no-one, least of all the ICO, has ever suggested a teacher could be prosecuted for what you claim. That's just alarmist.

wanet likes this.
  5. gigaswitch1

The security of data is a key principle to the DPA and having pupils premium data on your seating plan is not breaking the DPA if you don't lose it or it is seen by other people, can you guarantee this Rott? The same way schools are now starting to ban USBs, because they can't guarantee their security.

6. chelsea2

chelsea2 Star commenter

That's completely stupid, IMO.
    Or actually - maybe not.....let's just not mark books, then there won't be a problem.

wanet likes this.
  7. ridleyrumpus

ridleyrumpus Established commenter

We have target grades in a big sticker on the front of the books next to the name, inside is stuck a progress sheet with their target grades on and all grades the have achieved that year*. I suspect my school is not alone. If they were not there what on earth would the "learning walkers" or observers look at to "prove" progress over time.

* I think we are definitely not going to be allowed to take those home to mark, oh the humanity. :eek::D

8. ridleyrumpus

We banned USB sticks years ago* or rather teachers cannot write to them from a school device. Nothing stopping you using a dropbox, using attachments, taking a screenshot etc though.

*Banned for use by the teachers** that is, the kids can use them to read from and write to as much as they like.
    **Unless said teacher knows how to use a PC properly.

9. gigaswitch1

The whole point of it is the security of the data and if it can be secure. Stickers and seating plans are not secure, if you can guarantee no one else will see them or you leaving it in a class room you are fine. Not that I think the ICO will come after a school or teacher unless they lose a whole memory stick full of pupils data.

10. Rott Weiler

You seem to have no understanding of proportionality in data security shellscript. Neither current DPA nor forthcoming CDPR says that no-one is ever allowed to see anything about anyone. If it did telephone directories would be illegal.

11. ridleyrumpus

Maybe they are, I know I haven't seen one for years.

12. gigaswitch1

Didn't say no one rott, it is a given that staff would see it. Every individual has a right for other people not to see their data unless they agree to it. That is one of the main principles:data to be kept safe and secure. That means little John has a right to have his data protected from other pupils in the class.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2017
  13. gigaswitch1

14. ridleyrumpus

15. Rott Weiler

My point shellscript is that the law - current DPA and new GDPR - only lays down general principles not specific rules. The specific claims you made - "Markbooks or seating plans with names associated with any type of detail on has always been against the DPA and your school could have been prosecuted for it...books having the pupils grades on, that is also against the DPA/GDPR; .... target grades should not be on the front of their books,..." etc - are not laws, just your interpretation of the DPA/GDPR principles. It's alarmist to claim that teachers are going to be prosecuted for putting pupils' grades in a book.

If you take an absolutist interpretation then presumably child would have to give formal consent to the other pupils knowing their name. And if children refused, just to be a pain in the ar.$e, you'd have a class full of pupils you had to call X, Y, Z etc. Still, it would solve the problem being debated on the gender identity thread :)

A better target for advice would be schools that allow data to be kept of teachers' own unencrypted USBs and laptops. My prediction is that is the most likely reason for a school being prosecuted than some poor teacher ending up n court for writing a target grade in a book.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2017
  16. emmat34

emmat34 New commenter

This is getting close. One of us went on a GDPR course last week. We were told that books would probably need initials on, not full names and locked away during the day, not left on the tables during lunch etc. My thought is that if a person looks inside the book they may see us (the marker) name the person whose book it is. If they are writing a letter, then the school address and date will be on it, as well as the sign off! Anyone any the wiser or have some gems of knowledge? Would uploading most things to the Cloud help? Are paper mark books allowed in the car as we pop into Tescos (I think not)? Are they allowed in our house, front door left unlocked? Do books have to be stored at home in a secure cabinet? Too many questions!

sparkleghirl likes this.
  17. Jolly_Roger12

Jolly_Roger12 Occasional commenter

This sounds bizarre! How will we identify students' books? Will they have to have numbers, like prisoners?

Teacher: "That's a C3 for you, 655321."

strawbs and Rott Weiler like this.
  18. drvs

drvs Star commenter

Massive overreaction from the office bound policy implementers. Our school is busy tying itself in knots producing policy statements which don't fit with practical application ... our staff are busy ignoring them.

Rott Weiler likes this.
  19. Rott Weiler

My LA's course used this as an example of alarmist over-reaction ....

strawbs and lizziescat like this.
  20. moscowbore

moscowbore Occasional commenter

This was standard practice for every observation in my last place. A lesson "pack" would run to 20 odd pages. For every observed lesson.
    Totally pointless but career-ending if you did not do it. Another reason why I am no longer a teacher.

agathamorse likes this.