1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

GDPR Teachers Planners and Marking

Discussion in 'Education news' started by ridleyrumpus, Nov 24, 2017.

1. ridleyrumpus

ridleyrumpus Senior commenter

Yesterday we had a brief training session on the new GDPR regulations and it was stated by our business manager that from the introduction of GDPR we will no longer be able to use paper planners/mark books as these cannot be made secure and contain pupils names, grades etc.

If this is correct, then surely you cannot take a set of books home to mark either as they will almost certainly contain the same information and cannot be made secure.

In addition we were told that seating plans etc would have to be locked away in school, so does that mean we would also have to lock away books in school also?

Now either our GDPR expert has not got the facts correct or someone has not thought this through very well.

2. captain scarlet

captain scarlet Established commenter

Sounds like somebody in a little office, I imagine looking like ................. Gringotts, a lot of people scurrying about looking as though they are actually doing something, but not actually achieving anything at all. I learnt the art many moons ago in the civil service, walk about..........and you are doing nothing, walk about with a piece of paper in your hand and you are busy, to appear snowed under, walk about with an empty clipboard.

Sounds as though your GDPR Regulator is on the ball, however, so that anonimity can be maintained at all times, why not reduce peoples name to numbers, or better still, bar code.

3. george1963

george1963 Occasional commenter

What's GDPR?? probably really simple but clueless :)

4. 50sman

50sman Senior commenter

Don’t panic - it is an EU directive -after BRexit you can mark at home until 3am just like you used to!

5. Alldone

Alldone Established commenter

Sounds like a good way for some companies to make money out of schools.
    Such as:https://www.groupcall.com/gdpr-ebook-for-schools
    How much does it pay to be a data protection officer? All schools must have one. New career change for teachers anyone?

I think all teachers should have their own encrypted laptops provided by school. They would have to be taken home at night of course, and pupils could email their homework to it. Or schools could just abandon homework entirely like this school http://www.independent.co.uk/news/e...s-homework-time-improve-lessons-a7334401.html

I'm so glad to be retired!

wanet likes this.
  6. ridleyrumpus

General Data Protection Regulation, it is what takes over from the Data Protection Act from next May.

7. ridleyrumpus

Most do, I know we have had them for years.

If you are a Google Suite For Education school this already happens.

8. chelsea2

chelsea2 Star commenter

Why?

9. ridleyrumpus

They have pupils names on them and target grades (and maybe more) on them.

10. phlogiston

phlogiston Star commenter

I may be wrong here, in which case shoot me down in flames, but I don't think a pupil's name on a seating plan is quite what the authors of the GDPR had in mind.
    This sounds like the anxiety of someone who has seen
    The above seems like someone looking for a contract to manage IT data, not someone interested in a bit of paper with a map of the class room

Rott Weiler likes this.
  11. chelsea2

chelsea2 Star commenter

Why would seating plans have more on them than names?
    What's the problem with a list of names being taken home?

12. Scintillant

Scintillant Star commenter

I'd go with it and obviously refuse to take books home on the same basis.

Sounds ideal.

13. wanet

wanet Star commenter

It would also mean that students can't take books home either.

14. ridleyrumpus

SEN?
    PPG?

drvs likes this.
  15. ridleyrumpus

Not quite, you can do what you like with your own data.

16. ridleyrumpus

Sounds like a plan :D

lizziescat likes this.
  17. Scintillant

Scintillant Star commenter

None get lost then

win-win

wanet likes this.
  18. maggie m

maggie m Occasional commenter

We have to put SEN info, pupil premium, EAL , targets and latest assessment oh and most able on seating plans. Fail to do so and get graded unsstistfactory

agathamorse and sparkleghirl like this.
  19. galerider123

galerider123 Lead commenter

How big would that piece of paper be? Does this mean that it has to be on every piece of planning for every lesson?(!) It's fairly meaningless to supply as they don't know the children's names. If they don't have a TA in class they could still sit in the wrong seats...

agathamorse likes this.
  20. ridleyrumpus

No, just on the seating plan itself.

(Which of course will hold valid data for about a minute but that doesn't matter as long as someone can tick a box that you have a seating plan.)

galerider123 likes this.