1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

GDPR - Not allowing full names on books.

Discussion in 'Primary' started by johnpp, Nov 18, 2019.

1. johnpp

johnpp New commenter

Hi all,

Am I alone in wondering about the direction we are heading when I'm informed that we cannot have full names of children on their books in class for GDPR reasons!

Is this a practice that other schools have been advised to take, perhaps I'm missing something?

Thanks

2. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

Never heard of anything so daft! But some schools do go completely OTT in interpreting GDPR. But if that's what they decide to have as their policy you have to comply.

In my local primary school if you did that about a quarter of the boys books would have same name on the them! (Mohammed).

3. lunarita

lunarita Senior commenter

When I started in primary school many moons ago, we had stickers with pictures on. I had a cow on a bright blue baclground, I can still see it now. Same sticker on desk as on coatpeg.

Maybe that's where we're heading.

4. lizziescat

lizziescat Star commenter

Surely the logical policy is to have no names on books.

Pupils complete work, anonymous books are then marked by teacher, thus ensuring no bias ( gender, ethnicity or just ‘the nice kid who tries hard’) .
    Books are returned to random pupils who get whatever feed back is given -no one feels bad/inferior/superior etc because it’s not their work and they can’t be castigated for poor work, lack of effort etc.
    Teachers have a mark book filled with grades to show OFSTED, slt etc. (which are probably no less meaningful than a lot of what we do.)
    Any complaint about not showing progress etc of an individual pupil is simply explained as being contrary to GDPR in that it identifies the pupil with specific data. :D

;)

5. ViolaClef

ViolaClef Lead commenter

@Rott Weiler @johnpp What about staff meeting minutes? A friend of mine works at a school where pupils’ names are no longer allowed to appear in the minutes because of GDPR - initials only are used. Anyone not at the meeting can spend ages trying to decipher which children were discussed.

6. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

I only use first names...mainly because I now teach children too young to write their own and I'm too lazy to look up all the surnames and write them on!
    When I taught older children, they wrote their own name in whatever way they chose. If they choose to write surname as well, then presumably they have given consent to it being there and so it's fine.

All schools have their own bees in their own bonnets...

7. sooooexcited

sooooexcited Occasional commenter

That just shows the person saying that has no understanding of GDPR.

2 pieces of identifiable information on display means it should be disguised, e.g. full name and date of birth but just full names? This made me actually laugh!

8. Over_the_hill

Over_the_hill Star commenter

First names only for us.
    If I was on Who Wants to be a Millionaire and had to answer questions on the surnames of my children I’d be walking away empty handed.

9. frustum

frustum Star commenter

It's the coat-pegs they need to worry about. That's what the mums are looking at in order to check they've got a full class list before their child starts on the Christmas cards!

10. Sir Cumference

Sir Cumference Occasional commenter

Let's stop giving people names at all.

Then no-one can be identified.

Now are you happy, Mr GWPR? (Oops, sorry - is that your name?)

11. lizdot

lizdot New commenter

I do know of a school where the books are numbered rather than named. Scary!

12. Educ84Math

Educ84Math New commenter

We're heading for barcodes - dystopian future...

13. colpee

colpee Star commenter

14. ViolaClef

ViolaClef Lead commenter

Thanks for sharing your view @colpee.

How do other schools identify the pupils discussed in staff meetings where minutes are taken?

15. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

We use initials as did my previous school...pre GDPR.

1 person likes this.
  16. colpee

colpee Star commenter

Probably lots of schools do. However as students could be identified by initial, the minutes require controlling to be GDPR compliant - using initials is not the control.

"personal data’ means any information relating to an identified or identifiable natural person (‘data subject’); an identifiable natural person is one who can be identified, directly or indirectly, in particular by reference to an identifier such as a name, an identification number, location data, an online identifier or to one or more factors specific to the physical, physiological, genetic, mental, economic, cultural or social identity of that natural person;"

17. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

The need for pupil confidentiality existed before GDPR of course!

18. Outdoorman

Outdoorman New commenter

You can have what you like.
    I am not sure who is interpreting this policy in your school but they need educating.
    There are 7 overriding principals of GDPR
    Lawfulness, fairness and transparency
    Purpose limitation
    Data minimisation
    Accuracy
    Storage limitation
    Integrity and confidentiality (security)
    Accountability

The one that names on books falls under is;

Personal data shall be:

(c) adequate, relevant and limited to what is necessary in relation to the purposes for which they are processed (‘data minimisation’);

A name on a book is absolutely fine.................and laughable to all those schools that think otherwise