1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

GDPR knowledge ??

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by Danni2, Aug 21, 2018.

1. Danni2

Danni2 New commenter

Hi. Can someone who understands GDPR please tell me why an old exercise book with just a pupil name on the front (no marks, just work) would need to be shredded?
    Am I missing the point of GDPR? I considered it to do with personal data. Not just a name. Our exercise books are generic, so cannot be linked to the school. There are no photos in there. It seems like a lot of work to take off classes of front covers and then shred them. Am I wrong?

2. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

Honestly?
    I think it's because the act of removing and shredding them gives the school more money's worth from you, compared to allowing you to strike through it once with a black marker and then reuse sensibly. Why allow staff to complete a task in one second when it can be managerially over-complicated into several minutes?

agathamorse and Danni2 like this.
  3. mothorchid

mothorchid Star commenter

I suspect it's because your school have got it wrong...
    Surely not! :eek:

4. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

Just shred the things...saves having to store them or explain to parents why you missed the odd spelling error!

Or put them all in a bin bag, put the bag in the car and dump them in your recycling bin at home.

agathamorse and FrankWolley like this.
  5. Danni2

Danni2 New commenter

Thank you for the reassurance. I’m not wasting time in my break over useless tasks like this.

agathamorse and mothorchid like this.
  6. mothorchid

mothorchid Star commenter

You really shouldn't even be asked to do this sort of mundane routine admin task...
    ASOSA...

7. Danni2

Danni2 New commenter

Well yes, if I worked in a big enough establishment... but I know when to fight my battles. This is one of them.

8. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

Why not give all exercise books to each pupil and let them decide what to do with them?o_O

9. Pomza

Pomza Star commenter

I’m not really doing anything differently at all - we’ve always taken reasonable steps to protect personal information and will continue to do so.

Most of the stuff being said about what schools will now need to do is total nonsense...

10. Skeoch

Skeoch Star commenter

It doesn't. Whoever claims that it does might be a better candidate for the shredder.......

11. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

I just had a discussion with my neighbour about striking things out for "privacy" and he said his company have this rather silly policy now that rather than drawing a line over something to conceal it, they have to write their company name at least ten times, each time beginning a few milimetres further right.
    I tried it-it's pretty good actually. You really cannot see what is below, even thought there is probably still some negative space in your scribbling, whereas you can often read through an overstripe of solid dark colour.
    Who knew.

agathamorse likes this.
  12. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

(a) GDPR doesn't require it. Some schools are just suckers for any OTT "advice" given to them. It's not necessary.

(b) If they do want to do it it's an admin task that under STPCD must not be given to teachers. Send them to admin to dispose of.

(c) alternatively, as FrankWolley suggests, just give the books to the students. That can't breach GDPR, it's their "data". If they choose to throw them in the street bin that's their choice.

Danni2 and agathamorse like this.
  13. caterpillartobutterfly

:)
    Can you compromise and just shred the covers?

agathamorse likes this.
  14. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

erm, that's not a compromise, that is precisely what they have been asked to do (which they, and I, find ludicrous)
    (See last sentence of opening post)

Danni2 likes this.
  15. caterpillartobutterfly

Oooops I thought the OP had been asked to shred the lot.

I assumed the taking off the covers was to shred the card and paper separately for recycling collections.

You could well be right though.

16. Pomza

Pomza Star commenter

I think the GDPR 'consultants' who are selling this rubbish should be shredded....

17. Danni2

Danni2 New commenter

I would- if I hadn’t covered them with sticky back plastic. I don’t fancy breaking a shredder when they are obviously the new gods!

18. caterpillartobutterfly

Errmmm but surely the covers are the parts which need shredding?
    The name of pupils is on the cover?

But yeps, I'd not risk shredding it...admin staff might help out.

19. Pomza

Pomza Star commenter

You can buy-in bulk confidential waste removal - they take it all away in sealed bags and destroy it. You can put whole lever-arch folders in the bags and everything - they don't care. I think they incinerate it or something.

More cost effective that having a bunch of teachers, who cost 40k-50k a year, huddled around a perpetually jammed shredding machine...

20. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

Why have the book in the first place? Just let students have them at the end of the year.

But if you do need something shredded, there should be an easy way of doing it. My school had a place to put anything confidential to be disposed of, which was locked so only the person with the key had access. What happened after that I have no idea, but it was somebody else's problem.

border_walker, Danni2 and agathamorse like this.