1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

GDPR for schools: how to become compliant

Discussion in 'Headteachers' started by TES_Rosaline, Feb 21, 2018.

1. TES_Rosaline

TES_Rosaline Administrator Staff Member

2. pasturesprimary

pasturesprimary New commenter

Does anyone have any training materials pitched at teachers to help them (and me) understand?

3. TES_Rosaline

TES_Rosaline Administrator Staff Member

4. thehawk

thehawk Occasional commenter

I have three questions.
    1/ can we continue to use the pupils' full names in yearbooks and other publicAtions?
    2/ can we use pupils' full names on hoodies?
    3/ can secondary schools continue to ask for informTion from primary schools such as "are pupils free school meals, pupil premium, parents separated etc?

5. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

Re 3/, yes of course you can, and should, still ask for that - it should be sent anyway without you asking. It doesn't need anyone's consent, it's a statutory duty [para 9 The Education (Pupil Information) (England) Regulations 2005]

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/2016-ke...ra/section-12-keeping-and-maintaining-records

Re 1/ depends on exactly what that involves and what 'other publications' you have in mind. Best to ask your school DPO.

Re 2/ I'm mystified what that involves! No idea.

6. thehawk

thehawk Occasional commenter

Thanks. I have read that paragraph but it seems to be the information is sent within fifteen days of them moving to their new school. My question is about giving potential new schools that information in April and May even though they aren't going until September and the choices may change via appeals etc.
    and sometimes they ask for info about home life too, not just academic aspects.

7. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

It doesn't matter when you ask for it, nothing in GDPR stops a secondary school asking the primary school for a pupil's educational records at any time after the parents have accepted a place at the school (although that wouldn't be as early as April round my way. Offers made in March and there's several months for parents to appeal etc before acceptances become finalised). The statutory duty isn't the only reason, also because schools need that information to carry out their legal duty of educating the child.