1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

GDPR and references - bad ones

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by cillia, Apr 11, 2019.

Tags:
  1. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

It's sounding warning bells to all of us on here...heaven knows what is happening for those who are actually requesting the reference!

Piranha and Flanks like this.
  2. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

Silly question, perhaps, but were there any questions about disciplinary action in the application process for your current job? It is quite common.

3. celago22

celago22 Established commenter

Best to be honest.
    Usually on application forms you are supposed to declare any disciplinary issues/ if you've been dismissed. You should have filled this in honestly. If you didn't then you're a bit stuck.

The fact that you've been dismissed isn't the end of the world as it wasn't a safeguarding or child protection issue. To be honest, some schools may not include it in the reference for that reason. Trying to conceal it, however, would be a problem here.

Could you call your previous employer and ask them what their policy is on references? How much do they disclose? Ask them to put it in writing for you too.

4. celago22

Think the new school just require references that cover a specific period. On most forms they ask for references that cover a 5 year period.

5. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

So a school wouldn't disclose that they dismissed someone for enabling children to cheat in exams? Or for repeatedly posting that the head was a *&$%^ on FB? Or for getting drunk on the last day of term and smashing up the school?

All forms ask for a reason for leaving and the OP should have written dismissal.
    References ask if the referee would employ the candidate again. Presumably at that point a head who has dismissed someone would write no, whatever else they wrote elsewhere.

The point is that people cannot just move from school to school, being dismissed every year and no one noticing that it is an ongoing issue. References need to mention disciplinary issues, as do application forms.

They have disclosed that they need someone's permission to give a reference. The OP has refused that permission, which is what rings alarm bells for any prospective employer.

Flanks likes this.
  6. celago22

I think the issue here is that the OP didn't disclose it on the application form and that won't be taken lightly.

I understand what you're saying. I do think most people are honest on application forms for fear of being dismissed over dishonesty though.
    All I was trying to say is that the new school would look at why the candidate was dismissed and if it wasn't due to a safeguarding or child protection issue then they may be more lenient. I don't know. I don't think this will end well.

annascience2012 and Flanks like this.