1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

GDC for Permanent Exclusion question please?

Discussion in 'Governors' started by searsd, Jun 30, 2011.

1. I'm hoping you will be able to help?
    I wanted to know if a parent has the right to request a change of date of GDC if their representation (parent partnership advisor) is not available to attend on date set? The parent specifically asked the school to avoid this date when setting the GDC but sadly they appear to have ignored her original request.
    The parent is very upset and doesn't feel able to attend alone. Does she have the right to request and is there a point in any of the guidance for this?
    Thanks in advance for your help :)

2. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Lead commenter Forum guide

There is statutory guidance on pupil exclusions which the Governors Discipline Committee must comply with. You'll find it here on DfE website:
    http://www.education.gov.uk/schools/pupilsupport/behaviour/exclusion/a0076478/exclusion-guidance
    The relevant part for you is Part 4, paragraph 8 (c) which reads:
    " [the GDC] must invite the parent (or the pupil if aged 18 or over), head teacher/teacher in charge and an LA officer to the meeting at a time and place convenient to all parties (but in compliance with the relevant statutory time limits)"

I Chair the GDC at my school and I cannot imagine arranging the meeting on a day that the parents cannot attend, especially if the parent had already told me they couldn't attend that day. You could speak to your local authority Exclusions Offier and see if they can help. They can't formally instruct the GDC on its meeting arrangements but they may be able to use their influence to get the the meeting date changed. I would arrange the meeting outside statutory guidelines rather than hold it without the parents, notwithstanding what the guidance says.
    If the GDC refuses to budge can parent find someone else to accompany them? Or submit written representations?
    Is it a permanent exclusion or a fixed term exclusion? If the latter how many days?

3. Thanks Rott, I shall let her know. It is a permanent exclusion by the way.
    Fingers crossed they are considerate now she is able to quote from guidance.
    Kind regards :)