1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

GCSE's - Questions to teachers.

Discussion in 'Independent' started by littlemysterious, Mar 18, 2018.

1. littlemysterious

littlemysterious New commenter

Does your school provide levels and targets for GCSE's / igcse's, as school has mix of boards.

What information do you give to parents on parents evening and what do you wish parents would ask?

Are you under pressure for results or because it's independant there is less pressure for results than state schools.

What should I be asking at parents evening in order to have/ find all the information I need to support a child with learning, when we only have school holidays as child is a boarder.

Would you only be negative/ advise against a child taking your subject if they would struggle, or are there other reasons.

The child is currently a Y9 student and due to take options, Parent evening after Easter.

Thank you to anyone who can comment, I am a qualified teacher, but not this level, and not teaching anymore.

2. sabrinakat

sabrinakat Star commenter

My school is a non-selective independent girls' school and we try to encourage girls and parents/guardians to use some common sense, eg. if they have done reasonably well, they could do whatever GCSEs they wish. In my school, it is not so much that they will achieve a 9 but that we set realistic targets, eg. if a student is capable of a 5, but on a good day 6, or conversely, a 4, then that needs to be part of parental/student dialogue.

Given that my subject has 'new' GCSEs this year, I have told parents of current 11s that I will only predict 7s as I felt it was too much pressure to say an 8 or 9 (and who knows what percentage will get a 9), whereas in years past, I would confidently predict an A.

It is a tricky one but being honest about what your child can achieve is paramount here. Ask them what they want to study and why, then approach the various teachers, etc, to see if they think it possible.

Good luck!

3. Skeoch

Skeoch Lead commenter

Honesty both ways. We won't over-predict and tend to give a "most likely" grade and a "best" grade (of course hoping that they'll exceed the "best" - but that''s rare). At the Year 9 options stage it's very hard to predict - some apparently weak pupils flourish in the GCSE course, others flounder for whatever reason.
    Ask what holiday work will be prescribed and what will be for the pupil to decide.
    Ask what aspects need special attention and what guidance will be given for that.
    There are two models for parent meetings: with and without the pupil present. In the former case, ensure they are fully involved in the conversation, ask them direct questions throughout as well as preparing the ground in advance: what do you, and your child, want to know, and plan who asks what of the teacher.