1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

GCSE Y10 mocks Summer 2017 - What to do?

Discussion in 'Modern foreign languages' started by hbristow, May 3, 2017.

1. hbristow

hbristow New commenter

Dear all,

I am starting to look into the possibilities for Y10 mock exams for this summer and have found little of use in terms of exam papers.

I have the SAMs but these are very limited for Edexcel and although we are members of PixL, there is not currently anything.

Could anyone advise as to materials that they have found that may be of some use?

Thank you

2. parkert

parkert New commenter

I think you are in the same boat as everyone else. It's a nightmare. Also, as there si so much content and heavy grammar, we are finding we don't have enough time to get the module done in a term or 2, let alone assess them.

3. cake4tea

cake4tea New commenter

We're going to use specimens, tiered according to target, on the basis that at least they'll know what they are facing! Whether that's the right way forward or not I'm unsure. Marking isn't too bad but the grading - well it's anybody's guess!

4. gharfleet

gharfleet New commenter

We are using the SAMs but are struggling to come up with the grade boundaries without making all our students depressed. Has anyone come up with any for MFL?

5. hbristow

hbristow New commenter

Almost glad to hear it's not just me! I have contacted PixL and they have no plans to put together any mock papers this academic year.

For writing and speaking we have found that the SAMs or textbooks are easy to adapt but listening and reading present more of an issue. I think we are going to use some old listening and reading papers and write new questions to answer in English or in French to up the complexity at Higher and add in the new skills of literary texts and translation. It's just A LOT of work in time that I don't really have.

We are also going to try to get in touch with some local schools and try to work together in the hope that many hands make slightly lighter work!

pascuam49 likes this.
  6. gharfleet

gharfleet New commenter

Ok we have decided to go with the following
    50%+ = Level 5
    60%+ = Level 6
    70%+ = Level 7
    80%+ = Level 8
    95%+ = Level 9

lots of U grades by this method though!!

7. BrightonEarly

BrightonEarly Occasional commenter

I have worked with our data manager to design a tracker that converts marks for the different skills into 9-1 GCSE grades. I spent quite a lot of time working out grade boundaries for all of the skills at both foundation and higher level. No one can know the boundaries for sure until the first cohort have had their results, and even then, they will vary from year to year depending on the ability profile of the national cohort and the perceived level of difficulty of the exam papers. Does anyone want me to post the tracker on the resources page?

8. littlemac

littlemac New commenter

That would be fantastic BrightonEarly. At least if we see what other people are doing it might either make us consider something that we haven't already or confirm that we're on the right lines.

9. hbristow

hbristow New commenter

That would be brilliant if you could - could you put a link on here?

Thank you!

10. dannyhewitt1970

dannyhewitt1970 New commenter

11. dannyhewitt1970

dannyhewitt1970 New commenter

I have just finished marking my foundation Y10 exam and I'm thinking about suggesting to my colleagues that we go with the following (20% increments)
    80%+ = 5
    60%+ = 4
    40%+ = 3 etc

Not sure about the higher paper, but the descriptions for performance of productive skills seem to have some overlap between the top performance at foundation and the lower performance at higher, so I would be more inclined to go with something like 40%+ = 5
    20%+ = 4
    0 _ 19% = U

We will probably wait until all results are in though and see what seems to fit based on comparison of where we feel our students' performance sits

12. JamesAnfield

JamesAnfield New commenter

Have you posted this on resources page? I'd be very grateful if you have!
    J

Rotwein44 likes this.
  13. Rotwein44

Rotwein44 New commenter

Yes please BrightonEarly!

14. BrightonEarly

pascuam49 likes this.
  15. BrightonEarly

We are also going to pool our Y10 exam results for SAMs set 1 with other schools in our area to get a bigger sample and so increase the likelihood that grade boundaries are realistic. This could throw all of the calculations in my spread sheet out!

16. hbristow

hbristow New commenter

This tracker looks incredible upon first glance.

Thank you so much for sharing!

BrightonEarly likes this.
  17. crabbie_pirate

crabbie_pirate New commenter

The tracker looks absolutely great, I'm looking forward to trying it out, thank you so much for all of your hard work and generosity.

BrightonEarly likes this.
  18. gchagger

gchagger New commenter

19. BrightonEarly

We're using AQA.

20. BrightonEarly

But I would have thought you could adapt the basic tracker to fit any GCSE exam board.