1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

GCSE working extra hours ( for free)?

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by jabed, Jan 11, 2011.

1. Hello,
    I realize there are no easy answers here. I have posted this on have your say and here and not opinion because I would like considered replies and not strident ones. I am not sure this is pay and conditions. That said....
    I changed jobs and went to work part time about three years ago. I work 0.4 and I like my job. I like the school. I like the people generally and the children are also mostly nice (leafy suburbs).
    The problem is a parent has requested that we might put on an additional GCSE in a subject we do not usually offer at GCSE. I teach this at A level. The girl concerned is year 10. She has a number of free periods on her timetable because she dropped languages because unusually she is fluent in them and has taken them already.
    I wasn't so much asked to teach her as had it expected. Nothing has been said about payment or how this is to work. I get the impression I am expected to work for free.
    a) I only get paid for the hours I teach
    b) I do have a considerable amount of trapped time on my timetable where it might be possible to fit a lesson or two in. Otherwise it will have to be after school, and I DONT want to do that, largely because I am in school for so long with that time.
    c) I have to do two duties from 8:30 am - 6:00 pm on my current timetable. AS a part timer, less than 0.5 I do half the duties.
    Now if I ask for payment for extra hours I will end up doing more duties and have even more trapped time.
    I don't want to add hours after school officially and worry that one girl may become more if they realize the lessons are timetabled or available as after school activities.
    I would prefer the school to recognize officially that I teach this child simply because I feel insecure if it is not so covered ( child protection and all that).
    I am further worried that even if I do not get paid, I will still end up being viewed as over 0.5 and so available for extra duties.
    Also if I do take it on, I could end up with more hours teaching and set a precedence for timetabling I really do not want. I like my part time hours as they are.
    Catch 22 , if I say no, the school management may take a dim view and I could end up in the next round of redundancies.
    If you were me, what would you do? I am just garnering ideas and alternative viewpoints. Am I better off agreeing and trying to get paid and accepting the duties getting paid, or trying to arrange it so I don't get paid but get let off the duties or risk getting a black mark in the management books?

2. Hello,
    I realize there are no easy answers here. I have posted this on have your say and here and not opinion because I would like considered replies and not strident ones. I am not sure this is pay and conditions. That said....
    I changed jobs and went to work part time about three years ago. I work 0.4 and I like my job. I like the school. I like the people generally and the children are also mostly nice (leafy suburbs).
    The problem is a parent has requested that we might put on an additional GCSE in a subject we do not usually offer at GCSE. I teach this at A level. The girl concerned is year 10. She has a number of free periods on her timetable because she dropped languages because unusually she is fluent in them and has taken them already.
    I wasn't so much asked to teach her as had it expected. Nothing has been said about payment or how this is to work. I get the impression I am expected to work for free.
    a) I only get paid for the hours I teach
    b) I do have a considerable amount of trapped time on my timetable where it might be possible to fit a lesson or two in. Otherwise it will have to be after school, and I DONT want to do that, largely because I am in school for so long with that time.
    c) I have to do two duties from 8:30 am - 6:00 pm on my current timetable. AS a part timer, less than 0.5 I do half the duties.
    Now if I ask for payment for extra hours I will end up doing more duties and have even more trapped time.
    I don't want to add hours after school officially and worry that one girl may become more if they realize the lessons are timetabled or available as after school activities.
    I would prefer the school to recognize officially that I teach this child simply because I feel insecure if it is not so covered ( child protection and all that).
    I am further worried that even if I do not get paid, I will still end up being viewed as over 0.5 and so available for extra duties.
    Also if I do take it on, I could end up with more hours teaching and set a precedence for timetabling I really do not want. I like my part time hours as they are.
    Catch 22 , if I say no, the school management may take a dim view and I could end up in the next round of redundancies.
    If you were me, what would you do? I am just garnering ideas and alternative viewpoints. Am I better off agreeing and trying to get paid and accepting the duties getting paid, or trying to arrange it so I don't get paid but get let off the duties or risk getting a black mark in the management books?

3. coppull

coppull New commenter

Do we assume this a Private School ?

4. Thank you for the replies.
    In answer to the questions, this is an independent school and no, I am not paid for the trapped time. I am not sure you would call it a private school as it is one of the larger ( minor public) schools which are charitable foundations.
    I work two full days and teach one 35 min lesson on the morning and then nothing until the afternoon but going home is not an option because of the driving time and the petrol costs but I am not directed to do anything in that time currently and they do not pay. The other two days I teach one morning and one afternoon which is easier.
    I accepted the trapped time timetable ( last years timetable was worse) because I got made redundant and consider myself lucky in some ways to have a nice job even if I am trading off a longer day, the current duties I do a bitty timetable and less pay for it.
    I also know that in the current climate, if I refuse I could be seen as not helping the school by going the extra mile ( HT's words in the staff meeting last week) in a time when business is difficult and we have to do all we can for our customers. I not sure he was suggesting that to me directly as the request came in afterwards.
    As I said in my first post, I don't mind teaching her if it can be fixed into those trapped hours ( I don't know if it can) but I don't want to do more duties or activities after school or be put on the full timers duty list because this additional teaching puts me over 0.5 ( fractionally). On an 0. 4 I have reduced responsibilities ( ie I don't have a full timers duties or activities) and I prefer that.
    As I said, I realize there are no right or wrong answers on this at the end of the day.
    Thank you for your time and the replies.

5. Hello again,
    Thank you all for your thoughts. Fortunately I have managed to escape this one with my "willing" ( [​IMG] reputation still intact and without having to do the work. A lot of stress for nothing it seems. The situation has resolved itself.

6. DonutBoy99

DonutBoy99 New commenter

Glad it resolved itself ok. You were right to gather other takes 'just in case'.