1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

GCSE - What would you do?

Discussion in 'Music' started by princess_moose, Jan 9, 2012.

1. I have a number of year 11 students who were doing their BTEC during year 9 and 10, and a few of them showed an interest in taking GCSE. This was during year 10, I explained that timings would be tight, particularly with the controlled assessments and getting performance pieces ready alonngside the knowledge needed for the exam. Two or three of them have responded well, however the others are so lethargic it's unreal. I have no performances recorded for the rest of them and they are intent or telling me they are performing a part from some really random song they've heard in the charts,completely unaccurately and when I ask them for a score etc they just look at me blankly and say they're doing their own version. They have limited time left with their c.assessments and from what I'm hearing it does not look good.
    I want to pull the plug and only let the 2/3 that I feel can do well, but I had one parent on the phone moaning at me, saying I'm not helping their child and that I should support them more - the child in question is so lazy but very bright. I have y11 parents evening in a few weeks and I am concerned that telling so many parents that getting the BTEC will just have to do, but surely I am right in not letting these students be confirmed as entries? What should I do? Argh, stressing just even thinking about it, and I have the class tomorrow :(

2. I have a number of year 11 students who were doing their BTEC during year 9 and 10, and a few of them showed an interest in taking GCSE. This was during year 10, I explained that timings would be tight, particularly with the controlled assessments and getting performance pieces ready alonngside the knowledge needed for the exam. Two or three of them have responded well, however the others are so lethargic it's unreal. I have no performances recorded for the rest of them and they are intent or telling me they are performing a part from some really random song they've heard in the charts,completely unaccurately and when I ask them for a score etc they just look at me blankly and say they're doing their own version. They have limited time left with their c.assessments and from what I'm hearing it does not look good.
    I want to pull the plug and only let the 2/3 that I feel can do well, but I had one parent on the phone moaning at me, saying I'm not helping their child and that I should support them more - the child in question is so lazy but very bright. I have y11 parents evening in a few weeks and I am concerned that telling so many parents that getting the BTEC will just have to do, but surely I am right in not letting these students be confirmed as entries? What should I do? Argh, stressing just even thinking about it, and I have the class tomorrow :(

3. florian gassmann

florian gassmann Star commenter

Could you suggest that it would be in their best interests to concentrate on completing their BTec work on time and to a good standard, and putting maximum effort into their work in other subjects (especially if those are GCSEs). This would surely be better than trying, at this late stage, to complete a second qualification in the same subject.
    After all, it is unlikely that employers or colleges of FE (if that's where they want to go) would regard two qualifications in the same subject and at the same level as sufficiently distinct for most purposes. Even though the syllabuses are different, many of the skills are the same. Remember:
    "You get nothing for a pair, not in this game!"
    (Hmm, have I just shown my age?)

4. florian gassmann

florian gassmann Star commenter

"BTec may be the best option" is what I meant.

5. Have spoken to the students, and told them it's not happening. There are 2 that are ok with it and will do it. Most of them seemed to understand and agreed. There are one or two whining though. I just have to get through parents' evening a week tomorrow and stand my ground!

Thanks for the advice