1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

GCSE Textile ideas

Discussion in 'Art and design' started by PurpleGreen, Jan 7, 2013.

1. Dear all,
    I'm in need of ideas for the theme, 'force' for my GCSE Textile group. I have been given ideas such as, Object, People, Natural World and Places. I have a fairly small group and they need to be engaged from the word go!! I would love to structure this well and for them to produce some fabulous textile pieces!
    Thank you.
    X

2. Dear all,
    I'm in need of ideas for the theme, 'force' for my GCSE Textile group. I have been given ideas such as, Object, People, Natural World and Places. I have a fairly small group and they need to be engaged from the word go!! I would love to structure this well and for them to produce some fabulous textile pieces!
    Thank you.
    X

3. Hi PurpleGreen-
    Like you I always research alternative starting points to the ones on the exam paper... those given are, of course,only starting points. #
    Looking at a South African artist called Ardith Chambers at the moment.She uses aplique to depict floods/ tidal waves etc. I think she has scope for lots of experimentation with batik, tie dye and other resist techniques, before leading up to a final piece.I like to take textiles through to quite dynamic 3d outcomes so her naive reliefs might work for my students. I'd love to hear what you come up with.
    Isn't it wonderful that we can discuss ideas here instead of doing everything in a vacuum? And aren't we lucky that we decide individually as teachers when to begin the externally set task? And if we had parents interested enough to read these pages- WOW! What a lot of help they could be in motivating their children.
    Best of luck, Laura

4. The paper can be released to students from the first week of January so nothing is confidential and we can now use it for reference in any way we see fit. I doubt anyone will recall the exam paper because you have chosen not to give it to your students for a few weeks. Crikey.
    Quite apart from having a bee in you bonnet about nowt, you sound like one mean lady.
    But I'm sure you're really a ray of sunshine, so good luck and chill out!

5. Lottes

Lottes New commenter

Gosh!
    I'd agree with Jokyart if this was the A'Level paper which should not be released until 1st Feb, but GCSE is live from 1st Jan. Parents/ the general public can access it through the exam board website from this date as it is live material, so although individual teachers can choose WHEN to release it after this date, there is no issue with discussing the themes as it is after 1st Jan!
    I agree with SatsumaLaRoux - TES forums are particularly useful for single staff departments to bounce a few ideas around.
    Start by looking up Force in a dictionary and thesaurus to spark some ideas. Perhaps consider physical force of some processes such as wet felting? Forces of nature may give you some structures to inspire?

6. I'd appreciate you not wasting your time and effort in replying such nonsense. I have been planning thoroughly for my GCSE girls and have a full sketch book of ideas and I am WELL prepared for this exam. Not that I need to explain myself to such a boor like you. You sound like one of those teachers that like to keep everything to themselves and I pitty who works with you. Thank you again for your constructive feedback. PLEASE do not waste your valuable planning time replying to me.

7. Hi Laura,

I did dread for a minute that you were ready to stick the daggers in too! haha I have some great ideas and would be more then happy to exchange ideas. What is your email?

X