1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

GCSE system totally undermined by mock outraged lefties .......

Discussion in 'Personal' started by frodo_magic, Aug 20, 2020.

1. frodo_magic

frodo_magic Occasional commenter

"GCSE results are up significantly on last year after a decision to base them on teachers' assessment."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-53834013

and

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/education-53842200

Well surprise surprise. The mock outraged ones have done it again. Predictably, everyone gets lollipops this years thanks to inflated grade predictions by teachers (as explained before, a widespread practice in some sectors of secondary education), even if they didn't deserve them. The relentless focus on the a few hysterical students who didn't get what they thought they were entitled to for political ends has made the entire class of 2020 look like numpties. Their inflated grades will follow them around for life as not 'real' grades.

I just hope that not too many of them don't run up huge debts on courses at uni they are unable to cope with, courtesy of the mock outraged ones .....

2. emerald52

emerald52 Star commenter

Looks like Dominic Cummings has found his way back from Barnard Castle.

3. 7eleven

7eleven Senior commenter

:p Posts like the above OP make me laugh. Someone’s let the troll out of its cage.

4. rararasputin

rararasputin Lead commenter

I suspect it was the Conservative backbenchers who really made the difference - hard to see them as 'outraged lefties'.

5. old_dobbin

old_dobbin Occasional commenter

A stunning truth has been revealed by by the A level and GCSE results this year. The vast majority of students have received less teaching, have attended a fraction of the classes normally attended, have completed much less written work than usual and have not had to prepare for externally set and marked exams, Despite this , the results are much better than they have been in any past year.
    In future therefore, we can close schools from March to September, make large numbers of teachers redundant and scrap exams completely, because we get much better results with a different approach.

6. needabreak

needabreak Star commenter

They'd have to get through Aevels before we concern ourselves with them running up a debt at uni. :rolleyes:

Are you a teacher? If so where did you get your grades from? If you aren't a teacher whats your understanding of how teacher grades are calculated?

7. rararasputin

'... attended a fraction of the classes ..' ??? My Y11 class missed about 12 lessons and attended plenty.

8. needabreak

Indeed. I taught all the way through, no lessons were missed.

The myth of what happens in schools goes on.

9. rararasputin

I should have been clearer, if schools hadn't closed, they'd have only had about 12 lessons before study leave.

10. rararasputin

At times like these, it becomes very clear which posters are current secondary teachers.

11. needabreak

Ah yes of course... non teachers like to over react about half truths, misinterpretations, assumptions and click bait.. it's boring and predictable now while it detracts from key issues.

12. 7eleven

7eleven Senior commenter

Oh dear. Another really silly post.

phlogiston and needabreak like this.
  13. red_observer

red_observer Star commenter

What a horrible OP. Ignored.

14. CraigCarterSmith

CraigCarterSmith Lead commenter

It's at this moment i point out that its mostly always the

raging right wing trolls who complain about "snowflake"s and "raging lefties" being offended by everything

who then get apoplectic at

Exams
    Migrants
    Masks
    Climate Change
    Ice Cream companies
    LGBT+
    BLM
    Flags
    The EU
    and that's just this week

:rolleyes::D

Ohwell, phlogiston, LiamD and 11 others like this.
  15. frodo_magic

frodo_magic Occasional commenter

What, ignored again?

16. Aquamarina1234

Aquamarina1234 Star commenter

It was never going to be an accurate assessment this year, for obvious reasons. Every year, thousands of students are disappointed because they didn't do as well in their exams as they and their teachers might have expected. There are many reasons for that, but being absent from school for the last important term has never been one of them. Personally, if errors are going to be (inevitably) made, I'd prefer they erred on the side of generosity. I'd prefer the govt and the Unis had a bit of a logistical problem to sort out than thousands of teenagers on the cusp of adulthood spend the rest of their lives feeling robbed and bitter.

And as for you, frodo (are you someone who enjoys skiing?), consider yourself ignored.

17. old_dobbin

old_dobbin Occasional commenter

You are extrapolating from your personal experience, but the A level and GCSE results tell a different story overall. We have the highest ever proportion of grade A* / A grades ever, despite the fact that large numbers of students did not have normal teaching for some months. We did read of complaints that many online lessons were inadequate or non-existent and many schools were closed except for the children of key workers from March. I'm not sure exactly why you personalize the discussion and ask about whether I personally have done teaching. The argument I'm making does not depend upon my personal experience of teaching.

BelleDuJour and install like this.
  18. Sally006

Sally006 Lead commenter

Look I’m primary but with a son going into Y10. I know that the work that went into those teacher judgements will have been tough. No question. I also know from KS2 teacher assessments for Writing that teachers tend to be quite harsh for fear of being accused of over inflation. Oh sure, some might do it and slip through the checks and balances of their own institutions, but I’m convinced the majority will not. It’s obvious the OP hasn’t the faintest idea how teachers derived those results.

The time has come for teachers to be listened to. I can’t stand the instant teacher bashing that has emerged - we are all cheats and setting kids up to fail in courses they can’t cope with. What a low opinion of our profession you must have. You should be ashamed of yourself.

19. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

[Reads OP, remembers to add gammon to shopping list]

20. Katzenjammer

Katzenjammer Senior commenter

Ill-informed - tick: spiteful - tick: bigoted - tick: sneering - tick ignorant - tick

Obviously someone auditioning for the Hopkins - Farage Chair of Bogus Punditry. It needs more work, though - there is no reference to the effect of these GCSE results on house prices [mandatory for newspapers like the Daily Mail], and we also need a thinly-veiled streak of Islamophobia to complete this unlovely nosegay of nonsense.