1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

GCSE Statistics controlled assessment Edexcel

Discussion in 'Mathematics' started by liver56, Jan 18, 2012.

1. Is the guidance clear as to whether or not pupils are allowed to take any notes at all in with them during a controlled assessment ? The exam board themselves seemed unsure and said they would need to contact me after investigating this for themselves

2. Is the guidance clear as to whether or not pupils are allowed to take any notes at all in with them during a controlled assessment ? The exam board themselves seemed unsure and said they would need to contact me after investigating this for themselves

3. adamcreen

adamcreen Occasional commenter

They are allowed to have their plan with them when completing the next stage, as you will have already marked it and recorded your comments before giving it back to them. For the final write-up, they will need all of their plan, data and graphs, but cannot bring in anything else (e.g. pre-written conclusions), so again I look after their work between lessons and check they're not sneaking in extra notes.

4. Similar question: in the planning section, "students must complete all work independently" and at the same time, it is expected that teachers "Discuss with students.....Draw out of the students the possible questions they might consider" etc.
    So teachers can facilitate a class discussion to draw out the points, then after that and during the writing up part of the Stage 1 planning, to what extent can students discuss with each other?
    If they are to plan their data collection activities together in small groups for example, how can they do it without that discussion? Then again, what does "students must complete all work independently" mean precisely? Independently of whom and to what extent? Does "complete all work" refer only to the write-up, and not the discussion?
    Any clarification welcome. How do you approach it? Thank you.