1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

GCSE Statisitcs

Discussion in 'Secondary' started by mathsfairy, Nov 2, 2017.

1. mathsfairy

mathsfairy New commenter

Hi everyone

My colleague and I are teaching GCSE Statistics for the first time, and we have come across 'cleaning data' in a lot of the assessment materials provided.

However it is something that neither of us are familiar with, or have any idea how we are going to teach.

Does anyone have any helpful hints, tips or suggestions?

2. plyleung

plyleung New commenter

I didn't do GCSE Statistics but I'm an actuary so I can explain the basics of 'cleaning data'.

You're given a whole heap of data but not all of it is perfect. With some rows of data, some fields are missing. Should you use the rows with missing data in your analysis, or should you omit them?

First off, you can try deducing the missing fields from the other available fields. If that doesn't work, you may have to omit the row of data.

3. frustum

frustum Lead commenter

"Census at school" is a great source of data which needs cleaning - missing fields, obvious typos and entries which clearly aren't right.

4. brewer86

brewer86 New commenter

I just did this with my A Level group for the first time within the confines of the new A Level - they had a hard time with the LDS when I just said "delete all the info thats not perfect", but thats all that they should be doing. Delete what you can't use!