1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

GCSE Speaking - Marking

Discussion in 'Modern foreign languages' started by KBenallal574, Apr 11, 2011.

1. Hi, is anyone else finding it difficult to mark the Speaking component of the new GCSE? We are hugely at odds in my department (in a Secondary school) and wondered is it just us?

Verzweifelt

2. Hi, is anyone else finding it difficult to mark the Speaking component of the new GCSE? We are hugely at odds in my department (in a Secondary school) and wondered is it just us?

Verzweifelt

3. Try being the only teacher in the school that teaches the language and I teach 60 students! I managed to mark 40 before the holidays and have just marked another 40 today. 40 more to go!!!! I'm going to get them all marked by Wednesday and then go back and listen to a few next week with a fresh pair of ears!!
    I found the speaking report from 2010 on AQA website and that gives more detail than the standard criteria. We can only do what we can do. I refuse to lose my holiday by marking every day, I'll be more tired than I was towards the end of term!

4. That is a nightmare!! Do not envy you....but at least you can't argue too much with yourself!! Maybe we have too many viewpoints in my department. There are 5 of us marking and standardising in French and German and it is incredible how many different opinions there are on what goes in what band etc. Thanks for tip on speaking report, will download that now.

5. spsmith45

spsmith45 New commenter

We have listened to quite a lot of candidates as a whole department. We tended to be a little too mean at first.Now we find the mark scheme fairly easy to apply. The scores match up well with our previous notion of what constituted an A*, A, B, C and D grade. Just hope the moderator is on the same wavelength.

6. I wonder how many hours will be spent on these controlled assessments over the Easter "holiday"...

7. A long time! I've spent the last two days working as if I were at school. What frustrates me is that we are expected to give estimated grades for the writing. We aren't supposed to mark coursework but I will have to have a look over it to get a rough idea. I have promised myself that whatever has not been done by Friday will have to be done during my frees when we go back to school (not that there is many with a three day week!). I will have a holiday- it will just be a week one instead of two!