1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

GCSE Spanish Tuition in Kent

Discussion in 'Private tutors' started by SM86, Jul 20, 2018.

1. I have a first class honours degree in Spanish (Hispanic Studies) and am looking into private tutoring in Spanish as a means to earn some extra income, to keep my language skills up-to-date and to see if language teaching is an area I may wish to develop a career in. Where I'm new to private tuition I'd like to start tutoring at GCSE level rather than A-level. I'm not a qualified teacher, but I have experience teaching English in Spain and participated in the Student Associates Scheme as part of my University studies. I live in Maidstone in Kent and would be looking to start tutoring in the surrounding area.

With the above in mind, I'm looking for advice on the following:

1) How long private tuition lessons usually last - is it an hour?
    2) How best to advertise myself as a tutor (in terms of what parents and pupils are looking for).
    3) Based on my language level, experience and location how much I can realistically charge per hour.
    4) The best sources to find out more information about the current GCSE curriculum and syllabi for different exam boards.

Thank you.

2. langteacher

langteacher Occasional commenter

It's not just about being able to speak the language. It's about knowing the syllabus knowing what a typical grade looks like, knowing what common misconceptions are, knowing what makes the difference between one grade and another, knowing how to approach each different skill.
    I teach three languages, none to A level because my 17 years of school experience was without a sixth form Therefore, I have not read certain texts, I don't really know what the board is looking for . Two of the languages, I teach to GCSE because this is where my experience is. The parents are paying for knowledge of the exam board, how to move up a grade. I also teach these languages to adults but much of the content I teach to the youngsters is of no interest to the adults. A lot of the stuff the kids learn is irrelevant in the real world. The other language that I teach,, I do not offer exam level at all because I learnt this as an adult and I have no experience of the irrelevant stuff or the grades for that subject
    It's not just about being able to speak it

3. langteacher

If you're going to advertise your services, please make it absolutely clear that you are not a qualified teacher. It's only fair

4. doctoryes

doctoryes Occasional commenter

Speaking as a tutor, I can only answer 2 of your questions:
    1. Usually lessons are 1 hour.
    4. the best source of info about GCSE courses are the exam board websites.
    Speaking as a parent what we are looking for is recent experience of tutoring the new GCSE syllabus. Your first class degree is impressive but am not sure if Hispanic Studies is the same as a degree in Spanish or not. The new GCSE is very different to the GCSE course that you studied a few years ago!
    You also need to check how many schools in your area actually offer Spanish to GCSE and (roughly) how many pupils take this subject. Perhaps your old school would be a good place to start looking for pupils. I would imagine as Kent is so close to France that most schools would offer French, but this may not be correct. You need to establish whether or not there would be sufficient demand for tutoring locally before spending lots of time drawing up adverts.

5. catbefriender

catbefriender Senior commenter

Most parents assume unqualified teacher means a teacher without any qualifications, so if they ask the teacher, 'Are you a qualified teacher?' The answer will be, 'Of course, I have a degree, A levels etc.'

I always tell prospective clients that approach me, to ask the tutor if they have QTS and to look for a PGCE or BEd in their profiles and if they don't have that, ask if they have QTS and how did they get it. And if they ask, 'What is QTS?' you know they aint qualified.

The majority of tutors out there are unqualified and very cheap, some just £10 an hour.

langteacher likes this.
  6. gainly

gainly Occasional commenter

I don't believe QTS is necessary to be a good tutor.

More important points are:

A qualification in the subject they're tutoring (or closely related subject) to a higher level than they will be teaching;

A good knowledge of the current syllabus and types of questions in the exam;

An interest in the subject and knowledge well beyond the syllabus so they can answer any random questions the students may come up with;

An ability to relate well to the students.

I often find my students are being taught topics at school which are no longer in the syllabus, although presumably their teachers have QTS. Having QTS is no guarantee they will keep up to date.

7. langteacher

Do you have QTS Gainly?

8. doctoryes

QTS isn't the only qualification that indicates that you are a qualified teacher. There is also QTLS for further education teachers and an Early Years equivalent EYTS. The QTS only covers England and Wales for Scotland the equivalent is TQ and there is another qualification for Northern Ireland. So it can be quite complicated.
    The original poster is thinking about possibly training to be a teacher. However tutoring can be very different to teaching in a school so whether or not it would help isn't clear.

9. doctoryes

And the above are just the current versions - for older teachers there are DipEds, CertEds and other professional qualifications as well as PGCE and BEd.

10. langteacher

Having done both.tutoring is completely different. When I worked in school, we basically had to teach to tick boxes. I wanted to teach for understanding , I didn't want short cuts.
    For me, tutoring is very rewarding because I teach more for understanding.

I don't have a problem with people who are not qualified teachers offering tuition, I just feel that they should make this clear on their profile. That way, people know exactly what they're paying for

11. gainly

gainly Occasional commenter

No I don't have QTS and have never claimed I have. I agree that tutoring is completely different from working in a school and I would not want to attempt to control a class of 30 teenagers.

I do have a D.Phil., I previously lectured at university and now work full time as a tutor. I always have more demand than I can cope with, almost all from personal recommendations, so I must be doing something right. Maybe because I don't have to waste time on all the pointless bureaucracy, I seem better able to keep up to date with the curriculum changes than many teachers in a school.

I think the problem is people who think tutoring is an easy way to earn a bit of extra money with little effort, not highly qualified people who take tuition very seriously but may not have QTS.

12. langteacher

It was the pointless bureaucracy and data analysis that finished me off. I don't think we are far off having statistics for how many blue eyed children got each grade. And the tall kids, small kids, which kids did best there! I am not saying we should not look at information and use it to improve but what happens with that information is, these days, beyond a joke!

Give me tutoring any day

Student :- I would like to learn XYZ
    Me :- OK
    Student :- I get it now
    Me :- See you next week