1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

GCSE Spanish Speaking

Discussion in 'Modern foreign languages' started by aprod, Oct 22, 2018.

1. aprod

aprod New commenter

Dear all,

It is my first year with a Year 11 group. I have done some mocks in my previous school as a FLA though and I´m still struggling a bit with how to conduct the speaking exam. I asked my students to pick a topic for their general conversation and aspects they feel comfortable with (we will have a mock in November) and the vast majority of them chose Theme 2 since they find it complicated and most of them chose the same aspects as well (e.g. opinion on charity work, what they did in town last week etc).

My questions are:
    1)Can we conduct the actual exams in May with most of our students choosing the same theme?
    2)If so, can they discuss similar aspects?

I have asked three people and I got three different answers! It is my first year as a full-time teacher and this is stressing me out a bit!

Thank you very much for all your support!

2. Caramba

Caramba New commenter

Hi,

You have asked some really important questions about the correct way to conduct the new GCSE speaking exams. To ensure that you have the correct information, I would really advise you to ask the questions to the Awarding Body whose specification you are following at GCSE, either Pearson/Edexcel or AQA.

They have dedicated teams of language experts who are qualified to answer the questions accurately. The following are links to their websites and contacts:

https://qualifications.pearson.com/en/subjects/languages.html
    https://www.aqa.org.uk/subjects/languages/gcse/french-8658

I hope this is helpful.