1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

GCSE Spanish from scratch

Discussion in 'Modern foreign languages' started by ArchangeloftheNorth, Apr 2, 2012.

1. Hola
    From September, I will have my own little Spanish class in Year 10. they have never done any Spanish before, and have to take their GCSE in two years.
    I love the thought of introducing a new language, but at the same time, I am terrified as I do not know where to start. At the moment, I have nothing: no resources, no Schemes of Work, and possibly no money.
    I'm looking for a starting point, and hoping that somebody would have Schemes of work they would be willing to share. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    My email is Archangelofthenorth@hotmail.fr
    Thank you very much

2. Hola
    From September, I will have my own little Spanish class in Year 10. they have never done any Spanish before, and have to take their GCSE in two years.
    I love the thought of introducing a new language, but at the same time, I am terrified as I do not know where to start. At the moment, I have nothing: no resources, no Schemes of Work, and possibly no money.
    I'm looking for a starting point, and hoping that somebody would have Schemes of work they would be willing to share. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    My email is Archangelofthenorth@hotmail.fr
    Thank you very much

3. Linguo24

Linguo24 New commenter

As regards Schemes of Work, there are some good ones for the widely used Listos textbooks 1, 2, and 3 on-line. You just have to google it. A good website for interactive exercises, if your pupils have access to the internet, is www.languagesonline.org.uk. These exercises are based on the coursebook Caminos but they can be used in conjunction with any coursebook.

4. I have done that very thing for two years now, it's great and I am sure you'll enjoy it (one of the best things for me was the independence of teaching without a scheme of work and being my own boss - just following on from where we'd got to last time was great!) I used Espan~ol Mundial in Y10 - a great resource which motivates them and the grey workbooks are brilliant for homework and self-study. They all got FCSE distinction at the end of Y10. Then we switched to the AQA GCSE book in Y11. It worked perfectly and in both years we got everyone through with at least a C, but mostly As and Bs. Suerte ! (Can't do Spanish special characters on here!)

5. Sorry - just re-read your post - NO MONEY ??? How on earth can they expect you to do that?
    Another good resource, if you can't buy books (but assuming you can photocopy) is an express course from ZigZag. Try http://www.zigzageducation.co.uk/synopses/1947.asp which I have had highly recommended to me.