1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

GCSE solo performance

Discussion in 'Music' started by fuzzycat, Jan 20, 2011.

1. What are your rules regarding this? We do AQA and the guidelines are quite vague. We have a lot of students wanting to do their own interpretation of a popular song, which, while it may be very good, is hard to mark as there's no written score or recording with which to compare it. It feels wrong to tell them they can't do it, when they're obviously showing musical talent, and playing from written notation (or TAB etc) might result in a performance that isn't as good, but I don't want to get it wrong!
    Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

2. What are your rules regarding this? We do AQA and the guidelines are quite vague. We have a lot of students wanting to do their own interpretation of a popular song, which, while it may be very good, is hard to mark as there's no written score or recording with which to compare it. It feels wrong to tell them they can't do it, when they're obviously showing musical talent, and playing from written notation (or TAB etc) might result in a performance that isn't as good, but I don't want to get it wrong!
    Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

3. We also do AQA and I agree that the guidelines are vague! However, we tell the kids that they must provide stave notation or TAB for their version of the song; it does make it easier to justify the mark generally. If any kick up a fuss, I say they can record two pieces, one of my choice and one of theirs. (The Rockschool books are great for instrumentalists - we bought the Grade 1 and Grade 3 sets for bass, guitar and drums, and they've been a great investment, and the examiners like them). They always get a higher mark with my choice of piece! Partly it's the old 'simple is better' rule, but also that it's easier to mark with a proper score. Having said that, my very weakest pupils often play things with just a simple chord chart that I've written out - but we are talking G and F grades here, so the score is less important to the overall grade! Hope that helps.

4. The GCSE performances are not an X-Factor fantasy session. Good performance requires some discipline and if anyone of your singers or musicians went to do a session in a studio, for example, they would be expected to perform to the requirement. I let my students pick songs/pieces that they like, however I require that they produce the score and play it accurately. Where they DO want to make changes we have to mark them on the score. By they way, I'm sure I've seen a requirement that parts are not presented in TAB anymore- but that may ahve been EDEXCEL.
    What is wrong with making students do a bit of actual work. If you have a flute player playing a grade 3 piece, they will have done years of lessons and practice. Why would we let a singer off with "their own interpretation".