1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

GCSE Sociology- Which exam board?

Discussion in 'Social sciences' started by jantwokay, Nov 22, 2011.

1. All the specs are online - you have a choice of AQA, OCR or WJEC. Have a look at the actual examinations and decide which one is going to suit your type of candidates - they all have strengths and weaknesses. OCR have a book, AQA have a textbook both of these are more or less suitable for WJEC which is more thematic and less topic based.

2. I'm in the same boat - offering GCSE for the first time. I am with AQA for A Level, but I think the content looks too similar to A Level - bit repetitive for those who go onto do it maybe?

3. JodiP

JodiP Occasional commenter

I have just swapped from AQA to WJEC and am getting much better results from WKEC. The paper seems so much more pupils friendly

4. I did WJEC sociology and found them very supportive. I had no idea of what was wanted, being a psychology teacher, they offered individual help and support. [​IMG]

5. Hi all
    Not sure if anyone will check this thread again but just seen people have chosen to do WJEC for GCSE, and am wondering if you can give me any advice?! I've been sat for days trawling resources and specifications trying to get my head around WJEC as I have also opted for this spec, mainly because we do AQA A level so I wanted to be able to vary up the topcis at GSCE so there's some new stuff at A Level for those who continue it.
    However, I am at a loss as to where to start writing the SOW! The spec itself doesn't seem thorough enough to help me plan so I know I'll be teaching exactly what they want - and as there's no affiliated textbook this doesn't help either - can anyone point me in the direction of schemes or at least a better "tick list" of what is required in more detail than what you print off the WJEC website?!
    Thanks in advance
    A very stressed Mel!
    P.S As a thanks if anyone can help and save me!!! - I have shed loads of Edexcel GCSE Psych resources if anyone wants things :)