1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

GCSE Sociology - Which board?

Discussion in 'Social sciences' started by peapod43, Dec 13, 2010.

1. I have just started at a new school and they have asked me to start up a GCSE Sociology course from September. I have been looking through the specs but would like to ascertain peoples opinions on which is the best one? Any thoughts, experiences or advice? Thanks in advance!

2. I have just started at a new school and they have asked me to start up a GCSE Sociology course from September. I have been looking through the specs but would like to ascertain peoples opinions on which is the best one? Any thoughts, experiences or advice? Thanks in advance!

3. MrsArmitage

MrsArmitage Occasional commenter

I'd love to offer pearls of wisdom, but as I've just been told that Sociology is worth jack-all under the new 'e-bacc', my school won't be running any board next year. Head even said he thinks that the writing is on the wall for the entire GCSE nationwide. :S

4. blt

blt New commenter

Hi peapod,

At my present school we run with AQA for both GCSE and A-level. Whilst I'm happy enough with the A-level, I do feel that the OCR spec at GCSE is better (we did this at my last place). Lovely structure and a really clear 'introduction' topic with all the key terms that run throughout Sociology.

5. Having taught OCR GCSE for 10 years I moved to AQA GCSE with the new syllabus change. They both have their merits:
    OCR - wider scope of topics and clearer intro topic as said above, plus coursework for those who want it, (controlled assessment option).
    AQA - No tiers = equality of opportunity, no controlled assessment ( I hate coursework),. Clear units that challenge and fit in with AS/ A2 level for AQA.
    Got very similar results so far with AQA as I did with OCR with similar cohorts of students, I love the no tiers and no coursework of AQA.

6. Don't forget that WJEC also have a GCSE course that is worth having a look at. There are a lot of English centres moving towards the WJEC and support on NGFL Cymru.