1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

GCSE Separate Science Teaching Time

Discussion in 'Science' started by Seagull100, Nov 11, 2019.

1. Seagull100

Seagull100 New commenter

Dear All, could you please let me know the number of contact hours you get for teaching separate science. We are given the same time as combined. I would like to know how many hours you are given to teach each subject.

Thanks

2. fiendishlyclever

fiendishlyclever Occasional commenter

This is a tricky one - I've seen so many different models - and that's just this year (triple science advisory work for the Science Learning Partnerships)

I've got schools that are moving to triple content taught from Y9-Y11 in a double slot, and I've got schools with 20% up to schools for 36% of curriculum time for triple sciences. Most do have extra time but not all.

Use the guided learning hours in the programme and the fact that triple is worth 3 GCSEs in your arguments with SLT. You might also want to keep an eye on new Ofsted inspection reports and what they are saying about schools that run a 3 year GCSE...