1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

GCSE Science

Discussion in 'Thinking of teaching' started by bearing, Feb 26, 2011.

1. I'm looking to apply for places on a primary PGCE this Autumn, hopefully for a 2012 start, I'm currently part way through the third and final year of an OU degree and have both a GCSE in Maths and English. My dilemma however is that I am missing a GCSE Science qualification to allow me to apply, I should have enrolled on a course beginning the September just gone so as to have the GCSE in hand so to speak as I start my applications, but my funds were somewhat lacking. I've now realised that starting a course this September might not be feasible as I'm aware that most providers require you to have the GCSE's already in place.

I'm guessing that even with a distance learning course I'm still at the mercy of the exam timetables. So if anyone has any ideas on what my options may be then please let me know.

2. I'm looking to apply for places on a primary PGCE this Autumn, hopefully for a 2012 start, I'm currently part way through the third and final year of an OU degree and have both a GCSE in Maths and English. My dilemma however is that I am missing a GCSE Science qualification to allow me to apply, I should have enrolled on a course beginning the September just gone so as to have the GCSE in hand so to speak as I start my applications, but my funds were somewhat lacking. I've now realised that starting a course this September might not be feasible as I'm aware that most providers require you to have the GCSE's already in place.

I'm guessing that even with a distance learning course I'm still at the mercy of the exam timetables. So if anyone has any ideas on what my options may be then please let me know.

3. www.equivalencytesting.com is a good option for you. I didn't have a GCSE in Science either, and I started this equivalent course in September just gone, and I passed it early December. They say it takes you around 16 weeks to complete, so you've got plenty of time!

It is not a GCSE however, but many teacher training providers accept it in lieu of the GCSE.

You do need to make sure that where you are thinking of applying accepts it though, as some places don't.

4. Thanks for that address, seems that quite a few providers use this company.

Hopefully the providers I'm looking at allow this as an equivalent to GCSE.

5. Buy a distance course (Oxford Open Learning), study like a demon and have a bash at the exam this May might be an idea. You would at least want the course anyway to do an equivalency test.
    I bought the above course for IGCSE maths and passed this May (A).

6. ...last May!

7. That sounds like a good challenge! ;-)

I'll have a look at that one, did you have to do any practical experiments for assessment at all or was it all exam based?

8. I did maths, sorry.
    The courses cost a few hundred quid. You might see how many lessons you can get with a GCSE teacher who does extra tuition after hours and explain you want a crash course to have a bash at the GCSE exam or equiv' test.