1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

GCSE results

Discussion in 'Modern foreign languages' started by curlyk, Aug 18, 2014.

1. curlyk

curlyk New commenter

I may have recently retired but I still have butterflies about the forthcoming MFL GCSE results of the last class of students I taught this year .Perhaps it has something to do with my sudden inability to predict what grades my students will get.The past two years the controlled assessments grades given by OCR have developed a life of their own,they have born little relation to what I had awarded the students.35 years of teaching experience and exam courses attended etc seem to mean nothing anymore. I just hope there has not been any `political` interference and pressure put on exam boards to bring down the pass rate to the one the government ( Gove et al ) would prefer to see to prove GCSE exams are now more demanding .My cynicism about this is just one of the reasons I opted for early retirement .The `game` feels rigged !!! Except it is not a `game` for the thousands of teachers and students who have given their all in preparing for these examinations.Good luck to all MFL students and teachers this week May the force be with us !!!

2. kate2521

kate2521 New commenter

I feel the same curly and it shouldn't be like this. I'm dreading Thurs and then Sept, because if my borderline pupils get D instead of C, or there are any surprises, I'll be asked what went wrong and what lessons I can learn for next time. We do AQA and it's been very hard to predict grades for the past 3 years, with some pupils getting higher grades than I was expecting as well as lower. Thanks for your good wishes and I hope your last class get what they deserve to. Enjoy Sept!

3. sam enerve

sam enerve New commenter

The biggest problem in recent years is the raising of grade boundaries. AQA grade boundaries have gone crazy. A "B" 3 years ago is only worth a C or D now...

4. Crossing my fingers for my year 11 set 2 & 2. They'll find out on the 23rd.

5. salsera

salsera New commenter

Yup! Ditto! Always get butterflies and am on the secure site as soon as possible. It's the borderline candidates that are the worry as the grade boundaries fluctuate. But we also get hauled across the coals if our predictions don't tally with final grades too - named and shamed!! We're WJEC.

6. Sam, do you have the grade boundaries going back that far? I would love to have that evidence ready. I feel sick thinking about tomorrow...

7. Just had a look at the AQA grade boundaries and it's the higher listening where there's a real difference this year. You need 6 more marks than last year for most grades. There's also a smaller difference in the foundation listening. There's a slight difference in the reading papers but it's not nearly as significant.

8. Good luck everyone - the joys of teaching languages - you can NEVER predict what will happen! But one thing's for sure - we'll be at the bottom at school with our chums music and history!

9. Random175

Random175 New commenter

WJEC boundaries are up for writing. Why can't they tell us this before? Oh I know they have to work out their statistics so that the prescribed number of pupils pass.

10. boatie

boatie New commenter

Just had a look at our exam results - was right to be absolutely dreading today, like Curlyk and Kate2521. Hope yours went better. Sympathies to WJEC and AQA users - we're with Edexcel and the situation is the same! There are still disparities between the marking of French and Spanish in the speaking and writing, despite them having exactly the same marking criteria. Getting a C in French writing in particular is noticeably more difficult than 4 years ago. Raw marks to UMS on listening and reading have edged up, particularly for weaker higher tier candidates - many of my candidates, in other words! I've posted Edexcel grade boundaries on the Resources section of the website, following Redpens' work last year.

11. Godmeister

Godmeister Occasional commenter

Yes I still do not understand how marking for speaking and writing in Edexcel languages can have different grade boundaries for different languages but the exact same mark scheme. It defies logic for a student to have to be better at Spanish than French, for example, to get the same grade!

And I do not understand how grade boundaries for these two skills can go up! The task can be the same as the previous year yet you have to do better at it one year than another. Surely they should just be rewarding candidate performance???

12. salsera

salsera New commenter

Well WJEC have totally flummoxed me on the marking for the writing. We were way way out on our marking of the same pieces of work. We're talking 4 and 5 marks per piece too and it was both ways - some up some down. We spluttered over one student who has been given full marks yet we only gave him a C.

The speaking though all our marks were agreed by the moderator - how can we be so right in one and so wrong in the other?

This disparity has obviously impacted on all our grades and not positively either.

13. AQA French - our worst results for decades, mostly because of the writing which is significantly below the speaking. I went to the Enhanced Results Analysis to get an idea of where we went wrong, but the breakdown of marks on there for our pupils doesn't match the final marks they were given.

Reading the disclaimer they put on there, I can only assume that a more senior examiner re-marked them and changed them all, but they left the originals on the Enhanced Results Analysis section of the e-AQA site.

I can't work out why they would do this - how is it helpful to be given the wrong mark breakdown?

14. OCR Writing marks very strange this year and mainly in a negative way. One student who was forecast an A* only got a B. Others who were forecast Bs and Cs got Ds. Just don't understand what has happened this year. Exam boards need to re-train everyone in how to interpret the mark scheme .

15. salsera

salsera New commenter

Demifrog - echo everything you have said - in an odd positive way - glad it's not just us but then what to do next?

16. I think that we will be asking fro some re-marks and then take it from there.

17. Godmeister

Godmeister Occasional commenter

I don't think it matters how much training the exam board were to provide on the mark schemes. Each year there are fluctuations between what people expected and the final outcomes, even with teachers who were spot on the year before. My results, while not great, were expected given the cohort although I do feel our French was marked more harshly than last year with a similar profile.

It is too much of a lottery - some subjects at my school have seen strong increases in results while some have almost halved their A*-C rate. This doesn't mean, in my eyes, that those same teachers were amazing last year and rubbish this year so I don't tend to worry about it all too much!

18. Drjekyll31

Drjekyll31 New commenter

I agree with you, I think it is a lottery. I predicted C for some students and some of the got it and another ones didn't. Aqa was very harsh with the writing! I'm a native speaker and I made sure that their writing were good up to a B, and they marked them down, to C. I wil ask re-mark them as 3 of my students needed 4 ums points more for C. Such a disappointment.

19. Drjekyll31

Drjekyll31 New commenter

my results in Spanish were awful too and the same problem, the Writing.... they marked the writing down in all my students! some of them were predicted a B and got a C that is terrible!

20. Random175

Random175 New commenter

All our speaking marks were agreed. I predicted accurately bar one or two what they would get in the reading and listening exams - but marks for writing were harsh with occasional surprises plus the raising of the boundary in writing means many borderline children missed out. It really feels like the examiners were told keep the number of passes down so they marked harshly, and then they decided to put the boundary up as well! We will be asking for remarks too.