1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

GCSE Results: Literature results soar!

Discussion in 'English' started by alba21, Aug 25, 2011.

1. alba21

alba21 New commenter

Has anyone else seen amazing Literature results this year? We had a significant difference between Lit and Lang- some kids got a C for Language and an A* for Literature! We can't figure out how/ why it happened.

2. alba21

alba21 New commenter

Has anyone else seen amazing Literature results this year? We had a significant difference between Lit and Lang- some kids got a C for Language and an A* for Literature! We can't figure out how/ why it happened.

3. anteater

anteater New commenter

Our Lit results are always higher than the Lang, and this year is no exception. However, it is mostly just by one grade - I don't think we have any as drastic as your example! I've always put it down to our kids being very keen to express their opinions, but not being too bothered about accuracy; therefore they spout their wonderful insights into poetry and do well in Lit, but toss punctuation and paragraphing aside and don't do as well in Lang (generalising, of course - we have some good lang results as well, but definitely more A*- B in Lit)

4. Eva_Smith

Eva_Smith Established commenter

My results reflected the opposite pattern, with some students getting A for English and C for Lit, even then only scraping the C because their coursework was so strong. This may because I really did place a lot of emphasis on teaching English this year as our results took a nose dive last year. We're back on the right track this year though.

5. millicent_bystander

millicent_bystander New commenter

Although not as extreme in some cases, our literature results were lower too this year, which is unusual for us - we did emphasise English again this year but it doesn't really explain the dip.
    Exam analysis here I come!

6. lizgaskell

lizgaskell New commenter

Eva and Millicant- ours were the same.
    Kids with A/A* English got B lit- shame really as we are usually so strong in this area. However, as schools are going to be judged on English that is what we focused on.
    Also, we did AQA old spec Lut and this is 70% exam so really their excellent coursework only made a smallish impact.
    Liz

7. Our Literature results were good overall but we got no A* in Lit although there were plenty in English. Anyone else have this pattern?
    Phaygee

8. Yes! First time in 10 years we have no A*'s in Lit. I'm a Lit examiner too and I'm suspicious that none of my set managed an A*. Thinking of getting some re-marks -but at £33 a throw its expensive!

9. £33 is outrageous if you ask me. I don't know how exam boards can legitimately charge so much

10. gruoch

gruoch New commenter

Me neither. I get less than a fiver a script for marking A2.

11. anteater

anteater New commenter

No - we got twice as many A*s for Lit than we did for Lang!

12. markuss

markuss Occasional commenter

Re the 33 quid. It is expensive - and maybe is meant to deter the frivolous requests! However, there is a lot of admin involved in processing Enquiries. Also, examiners who deal with them can be paid up to three times the normal script rate if they manage a quick turnaround.
    You get your money back if any changes are made, though, don't you?

13. EmmaBB

EmmaBB New commenter

Have had lower results in Lit most years. Same this year - by 12% on Lnaguage. Although results in Lit still went up 4% on last year. However we got 2 more A/A*s than Language.
    Middle band seemed to miss the Cs which is really disappointing. I'm also a huge fan of eaqa but gutted when you can see the kids who answered on the wrong cluster despite being told a billion times about it. *sigh*

14. bessecar

bessecar New commenter

100% A*s in my batch - a group of Pakistani students taking Literature at O level in their second language.

Really proud of them.

15. We also had no A*s for Eng Lit, although we had loads of As. I'd like to know why but AQA just fobbed me off with get remarks. At £33 a script and SLT has said it has to come out of the English budget for the year.
    I'd like to have more information on it - is the only course of action getting a remark?

16. anteater

anteater New commenter

I think you only have to pay if the grade doesn't go up - but of course, it may well not do so, so still a risk.
    I've asked for one of my Lit papers to be remarked, and I think I'm pretty certain it will go up. I looked on the Enhanced Results Analysis to see what went wrong ( A grade student got a C). It appears she got a very high mark on the poetry, but had apparently got 0 on the novel and didn't answer on the book we read! I asked her about this, and she is very clear that she did answer the right question on the right book, and even told me what she had written...hmmm. Very interested to see the outcome!

17. anteater

anteater New commenter

Wooh hoo! I realise I'm talking to myself here, but see above post. Re mark came back already (didn't know it would be so quick) and she has now got an A! Yessss!

18. Sedgers

Sedgers New commenter

I had a top set group but not one student got an A* despite getting A*s in English Languge. This is also very rare for us - our Area Leader is looking into it as we had two students who were both one mark away from an A* and should have got this with ease. We were wondering if the examiner was at fault as they all seemed to be lower than expected.