1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

GCSE Results day 2011

Discussion in 'Secondary' started by mancminx, Oct 26, 2010.

1. mancminx

mancminx New commenter

I'm looking to book next years summer holiday, but I'm not sure when the GCSE results are out in England. Does anyone know when they are out?
    Thanks

2. tafkam

tafkam Occasional commenter

Thursday 25th August 2011
    http://store.aqa.org.uk/admin/calendar/AQA-KEY-DATES.PDF

3. markuss

markuss Occasional commenter

4. blazer

blazer Star commenter

I've never let results day interfere with my choice of <u>HOLIDAY </u>dates. It is holiday, you don't have to be in work! The kids will get the same results whether I am there or not.

5. phlogiston

phlogiston Lead commenter

a very true statement.

6. ferrisbueller

ferrisbueller New commenter

Not if you're a Head of Year it isn't - I have to go in for THREE days for A level results !!
    Expected part of my job!

7. blazer

blazer Star commenter

Then you should get three days in leiu!

8. ferrisbueller

Ha Ha !! - Do you really think this would happen.
    If I asked for 3 days in leiu my card would be marked. Any progression in my current school would be severely limited.
    I would imagine it is the same in most schools that are pushing for ever higher success rates and achieving targets.
    However, blazer, I'm not disagreeing with you.

9. Why are we teachers for ever recuing the system? Where are our boundaries? When we are taken advantage of it doesn't make us feel good?
    I know I've done it. However I'm trying my best to like my job by not feeling taken advantage of!!

10. ferrisbueller

It's the crazy world we live in!
    If student results fall it won't be the fact that they have been lazy, useless, not bovered, can't be ***** and just would rather play on their computers, mobiles and do nofing! because everything is so boooring. Nope, it will be our fault, for being **** teachers who just didn't work hard enough, or were incompetent etc etc.
    As I said, the world of education is a crazy mixed up world.

11. voodoo child

voodoo child New commenter

How true. I've just had my PM and had to laugh when asked why I didn't get 100% for my FFT targets!

12. Have to say that I actually enjoy being there, as teachers we are not expected to be there but in most cases the kids are really proud of their results and actually come and say "thank-you". I would not specifically plan my holidays around the date but if I am at home I will go in for the morning - I am also eager to hear my results - even after 14 years of doing the job!

13. MarkS

MarkS New commenter

Always an interesting one this one...
    We all work to the same contract and terms and conditions (unless on the Leadership Spine) so I'm sure that legally none of us could be 'told' that we must be in during holidays, at all, ever - it isn't part of the 195 days after all.
    But I suppose it is implied that, if you take on a role like HoY or exams officer (!) that you'll be in on results day!
    I have to say though...three days seems excessive!!!
    Mark

14. yeh but unlike you, the kids need their results on the day, to get into sixth form or they lose their places.
    Someone has to be responsible and be at school to support them !!

15. In my experience an exams officer can take is either paid for the specific days and/or is entitled to term time holiday

Day 1 ... looking at electronic pre-release of A Level results and making plans for support needed
    Day 2 ... with students ... congrats and support ... helping to make those all important phone calls

Days 3,4, etc ... continued support ... phone calls ... etc

Again, perhaps just my experience

16. mousey80

mousey80 Occasional commenter

If you are involved with post-16 then you have to help out the kids if they get unexpected results etc. Just as resource finder says. No way you could just let the kids/young adults get on with it after you have brought them so far. GCSE - I just go in for the data. last year ocr made a mess of the A* grades and it was a good job that a few of us were about to help out.

17. MarkS

MarkS New commenter

Agreed, if you are an Exams Officer...but the post I was referring to was from a Head of Year, which I interpret as Head of 6th Form.I still think three days is excessive - am I wrong in thinking that only the Exams Officer and Headteacher are allowed to see results on the Wednesday?
    Mark

18. totally agree

19. I am a careers adviser based in a high school and have to go in on results day to help those who did not get the grades to find alternative courses.

However, I am having issues with finding an appropriate time to go on holiday as my husband can only take the last two weeks of August off work and my kids' summer holiday club is closed for this time too.

Thursday 25 August just happens to fall right in the middle of these dates!!! I have no idea how I will be able to go anywhere this year :-((

20. How professional!