1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

GCSE Results 2013

Discussion in 'Modern foreign languages' started by NowaMrs, Aug 21, 2013.

1. I have just been doing my analysis in depth using AQA's Enhanced Results Analysis and I am getting more and more confused. My predicted A*/A grade student (best in my class) got only 3/5 for their accuracy in both pieces.....I don't get that AT ALL......some of my D grade candidates managed 3/5 for accuracy!!!!!

The consistency of this marking seems crazy..........

This student only got 7 for ROL, with having used P/PR/F/COND/IMP, subj, connectives, opinions + reasons why, si/apres avoir phrases, exclamations, wrote between 250-300 words on both etc etc..... WHAT do they need to write to get the top grades!?!?!?!?!?!

This candidate got an A in Unit 3, SAYING this kind of thing, but didn't get it in WRITING it.....

2. Have you read the examiner's report? It has example paragraphs with marks beside them - just for "fun" tomorrow, I'm going to get my colleagues to look at the examples without the marks to see if we can think like Mr AQA! (Heaven forbid!).

I too, cannot understand how on earth some of my marks have been awarded - 2 candidates poles apart in every respect are awarded identical marks (when what they produced should have achieved radically different grades). If I just look at Listening, Reading and Speaking, my results are stunning, but the writing results are disastrous.

3. toadman

toadman Occasional commenter

I repeat- seek re-marks, it is the only way forward!

4. Well my SLG link is being unbelievably supportive and agreeing in fact encouraging me to go for remarks on both speaking and writing for all students he says he doesn't care about the costs.

5. LadyPsyche

LadyPsyche New commenter

I have 2 examples of EXACTLY this happening too. Unbelievable. Even with the same topic title!

6. spsmith45

spsmith45 New commenter

I get the impression that marking standards may have gone back down this year after last year's apparent improvement. I echo those who say go for remarks. We did and often saw changes.

7. veverett

veverett Occasional commenter

Just found out our A* native speaker didn't get an A* in his writing!!

8. Hi. I have read all of your posts with interest. Our writing marks (Edexcel) have been massively downgraded. One of our teachers has been an Edexcel examiner in previous years but didn't this year. We had them all remarked as in some cases the difference was as much as A down to E! We are now going to appeal again and also ask for all the scripts back. It makes me so angry. How are we supposed to prepare our students with these constantly shifting goal posts?

9. cake4tea

cake4tea New commenter

I find that the longer you think about the actual mark the more difficult it gets to work out what it should be, as the categories are so vague. We were pretty accurate this year by using a read through followed by a mark allotted quickly through gut reaction. Not very scientific but we were more accurate than last year. I'm still convinced there's too much variability in markers and speaking moderators. Some seem to be extreme pedants whereas others just nod the marks through.

10. delc1_11

delc1_11 New commenter

Did anyone have any particular issues with the Edexcel Listening? My kids were A*-C on all the practice papers we did, but were mostly a mix of B-D on the actual thing. Makes no sense!