1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

GCSE Results 2013

Discussion in 'Modern foreign languages' started by NowaMrs, Aug 21, 2013.

1. chriszwinter1

chriszwinter1 New commenter

I wish I could get certain members of my school's SLT to understand that.

2. Great point :)

3. chriszwinter1

Exactly. They charge a lot of money for inset, which is now done online rather than face to face. They tell us what they they want, we pass it on to the students, who in turn tell us they do it, and the results still shock us.

The sheer length of that list of FAQs is damning. It should all be clear from the specification.

4. dutschke68

dutschke68 New commenter

Our German writing doesn't seem right. 1 A* in a large entry for unit 4. Overall, the year group for German are on 55% A and A*, 100 A*-C, so you would expect a couple of A* in unit 4 surely? I am conviced that some examiners won't give high content marks if a candidate doesn't write more than one side of A4. I have one such candidate, who has written a total of 600 words, but has small writing, so his unit 4 pieces are one side long each. He has full marks in all other units, and then a C for writing. Come on AQA! I will be encouraging approx 10 pupils to apply for re-marks next week, as they are on A grades, and in a similar position to the example given above.

5. mlapworth

mlapworth Occasional commenter

Thank goodness kind Mr Gove and his Conservative party are replacing this unpredictable, unfair system with final exams...

6. kate2521

kate2521 New commenter

"I am conviced that some examiners won't give high content marks if a candidate doesn't write more than one side of A4"

Candidates are more likely to lose marks for not sticking to the title, or for not giving equal weighting to two or even three part titles, although if a piece is just over the minimum word count, it's hard to give full marks for content. Schools really need to think hard about giving open titles so all content can be deemed relevant, as the content mark is the one that always seems to cause problems.

I think all teachers should be able to mark the examiner training scripts online to get an idea of how they're marked. Marking this year has certainly helped me. AQA and the other boards should make these available to everyone.

7. kate2521 says:

"Schools really need to think hard about giving open titles so all content can be deemed relevant, as the content mark is the one that always seems to cause problems. "

The pupil whose grade insenses me most is the one where I expected an A* and the board awarded a C.

The task title was "Holidays" - surely you can't get more open-ended than that.

The pupil talked about two different holidays in the past; her dream holiday; how holidays in general have changed over the years as travelling to exotic locations has become easier and cheaper!!; why she finds holidays with her friends more fun than holidays with her parents....

The French is not perfect - there ARE errors - but she communicates and uses a range of tenses, interesting vocabulary and opinions, si clauses correctly handled, lots of personal reaction...

Her second piece was even more accurate than the first - but together, both pieces have earned her a C [with A/A* in the other 3 skills).

I give up.

8. Would anyone like me to start a "Guess the grade" competition? I only have photocopies of my pupils' hand-written scripts, but I could transcribe a few, upload to resources and then we could play the game!

9. curlyk

curlyk New commenter

I guess a grade C . That`s without seeing the scripts.!!!!!

10. kate2521

kate2521 New commenter

Petite Joueuse, are you going to ask for a re-mark on that script, as it sounds as if it hasn't been marked correctly. There can't have been a problem with the title, as you say, and if the candidate got top grades on the other papers, it seems a bit strange. If you can upload it, and others, then we can all have a look.

I had a pupil who got a good C for her speaking in 2011, and a low D in her writing, when the two pieces were identical. That was when pupils were allowed to use the same material for speaking and writing. I didn't bother with a re-mark as she'd got a D in the Reading and Listening but all my other re-marks came back unchanged bar one. No one would listen then - not my HoD, SLT or AQA. This can't keep on happening.

11. I guess curlyk has hit the nail on the head!

Yes - I am asking for lots of remarks. But I asked for lots of remarks in 2011 and got absolutely nowhere...

12. veverett

veverett Occasional commenter

In 2011 it was very useful to see other people's transcribed and uploaded examples of work for different grades. Probably best to wait for re-marks first though.

13. curlyk

curlyk New commenter

I don`t think uploading work is going to help. I know what a grade A /B/C looks like from innumerable years experience. Been on the exam board led course , got theT shirt, but this year I got it wrong, all my kids work was only worthy of Cs apparently .!!!!!! Go figure !

14. From reading some of these replies it would seem that the exam boards will not award a high grade to some of the tasks they themselves publish in their specs. EDEXCEL have their own list which teachers can change or add to. Surely the sample tasks given in the spec should be ones that can access the whole range of grades?

15. 'The way the whole "relevance to the title" pedantic nonsense outlined above has been accepted and not brought the process into total disrepute is one example. How can AQA justify marking down a GCSE candidate writing in a foreign language because they include a section on "future plans" in an essay on "school"? There is nothing worthy in such an approach, just a preocupation with "consistency" gone mad.'

So, I'd better change the title of the piece of coursework my Y10 have already done on school to 'School and a little bit about future plans' then.

The whole thing is ridiculous. Thank goodness I am approaching the end

16. toadman

toadman Occasional commenter

This does not appear to be the case. This year we have had syudents do this and come back with full marks in French.

17. spsmith45

spsmith45 New commenter

Just to say that I can identfy with many of the comments on Writing grades. In the first year of CAs my grammar school cohort got one A*. The second year it was slightly better, but still unreflective of the candidates' ability.

I would identify two issues:

Inconsistent quality of marking and a mark scheme which is too vague and makes it too easy to knock marks off. When we modereated scripts as a department we were struck how easy it was to interpret the mark scheme in different ways.

18. chriszwinter1

I would add that the marking is always going to be subjective and therefore difficult to standardise. I remember doing the marking for a piece of work a few years ago and gave the piece 17/20. A few months later I'd forgotten I'd already marked it and marked it again, with a different mark 13/20. On both occasions I knew why I'd given the work that particular mark. That or a greater discrepancy multiplied by 3 can equal 3 grades' worth of difference.

19. Hello,

It has been the same for me. Writing and especially speaking have been marked down.

20. Algal

Algal New commenter

Just gearing up for tomorrow and completing exams analysis - like you the AQA Writing has been downgraded as many as 12 marks - one pupil got 2 As and a B for other components but a D for her Writing - I'd be out of mind to have sent a D grade piece of work in for such an able candidate ...... I used the same tasks, prepared and marked exactly as last year and am sooooo disgruntled - what is going on AQA??!!