1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

    Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

    Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

    Dismiss Notice

GCSE Resits with Sixth Formers

Discussion in 'English' started by starby, Aug 20, 2012.

  1. Hi all,
    Just wondering what GCSE course people do with Year 12 students who have not achieved a C or above in Year 11. We do AQA English at KS4 and they sit the exam twice, once in Y10 and again in Y11. Can they carry forward their CA marks into Year 12 and sit the exam again or do they have to complete the tasks for a new task bank?
  2. CandysDog

    CandysDog Established commenter

    They can carry their CA marks forward. They will actually be taking the entire GCSE again (as opposed to just resitting units) because they have (presumably) already cashed-in.

    The rules for retaking entire modular GCSEs just require that students re-fulfil the terminal requirement again and take at least 40% of the assessment. This could be the exam. Obviously, this means that the exam result will definitely count.

    (On a related note, if the students were to ever get themselves in a situation where they had three different unit results to choose from, with none of them required for the terminal rule (such as by re-sitting the exam and all the CA), then the best result of the two most recent attempts will be taken.)

    As the first cash-ins of the new specs have only just happened, we're only at the tip of the iceberg for dealing with these complicated re-take rules!
  3. Buton

    Buton New commenter

    You could also enter your re-sitters for anyof the Level 1 / 2 certificates in English Language. As far as I am aware at the moment only Edexcel counts towards your performance measures, but I guess this won't be a problem!
    The AQA certifcate level 1 / 2 gives the option of solely exam, or you can choose the coursework option. All require some aspects of S & L but if they are taking the GCSE then you could probably cross them over - but you'd need to check that!
  4. CandysDog

    CandysDog Established commenter

    Actually, the Cambridge International Certificates count too. In fact, they have since 2010 (a year before Edexcel). But, as Buton says, this is irrelevant in this context.
    It's worth bearing in mind that for post-16 students, you can do any flavour of GCSE or IGCSE-style Certificates in either English or English Language (with no requirement to also take Engish Lit) by any exam board. Of course, if you're planning on carrying controlled assessment marks forward, it needs to be the same GCSE with the same board.
  5. Thank you for all the suggestions. I'm much clearer about what to do with those who would like to try again for their GCSE English.
    The main issue I can see is that some students' CA marks will be good enough to carry forward and some will need to complete new tasks for the new task bank. They will all be in the same group and on two lessons a week split between two teachers, this will be interesting!

Share This Page