1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

GCSE Reforms Confusion

Discussion in 'Mathematics' started by pencho, Jan 15, 2012.

1. pencho

pencho New commenter

Can anyone help me out as I am confused.
    My understanding was that the last time the modular specs could be examined was June 2013 and AQA website seems to suggest this is the case. The Edexcel website says though that there is a final exam sitting in Nov 2013 for modular specs in Maths and English. Is this the case?
    Also reading the information from Edexcel aswell. It appears you can do the Edexcel certificate (iGCSE) in January and June as it is classed as an iGCSE and not a GCSE. Does this mean that the AQA Further Maths spec is also available in January. It also means that an awarding body could in theory make it modular and it bypasses all the rules. Is this correct?
    Wonder if we could push for it!!!!

2. pencho

pencho New commenter

Can anyone help me out as I am confused.
    My understanding was that the last time the modular specs could be examined was June 2013 and AQA website seems to suggest this is the case. The Edexcel website says though that there is a final exam sitting in Nov 2013 for modular specs in Maths and English. Is this the case?
    Also reading the information from Edexcel aswell. It appears you can do the Edexcel certificate (iGCSE) in January and June as it is classed as an iGCSE and not a GCSE. Does this mean that the AQA Further Maths spec is also available in January. It also means that an awarding body could in theory make it modular and it bypasses all the rules. Is this correct?
    Wonder if we could push for it!!!!

3. Ofqual suggest that there won't be a Nov 2013 sitting for modular (unless you take all modules)

http://www.ofqual.gov.uk/help-and-support/94-articles/664-gcse-unitisation-faqs
    Look under resit opportunity towards to bottom

4. pencho

pencho New commenter

It's been changed on the Edexcel website now