1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

GCSE Reform - Specification Speculation

Discussion in 'Mathematics' started by pencho, Dec 22, 2011.

1. pencho

pencho New commenter

With the announcment that GCSE's are to be linear and there will be a 100% terminal rule, what do you think boards will do with their specifications.
    Maths is pretty unique in having a linear and modular specs. Do we assume the modular specs will go or will they will stay and you can just do all three units at the end? Would any schools want to put students through three exams as opposed to two?
    Just interested in people's thoughts

2. pencho

pencho New commenter

With the announcment that GCSE's are to be linear and there will be a 100% terminal rule, what do you think boards will do with their specifications.
    Maths is pretty unique in having a linear and modular specs. Do we assume the modular specs will go or will they will stay and you can just do all three units at the end? Would any schools want to put students through three exams as opposed to two?
    Just interested in people's thoughts

3. DM

DM New commenter

Worth pointing out that the Linked Pair is likely to be granted an exemption ...

4. pencho

pencho New commenter

cheers DM
    How many years under pilot has it left to run? I thought exams were only guaranteed up until June 2013 (same time as modular finishes). Any info appreciated.

5. DM

DM New commenter

Your information is correct although many bodies are lobbying for an extension/roll out.

6. I got the edexcel email too....

I may be missing something obvious, but I cannot see the point in offering two different specifications here. I read this as one (the old "linear") will continue as is, with a Paper 1 and 2. The other (the old "modular") will consist of three papers based on the units currently offered, so three papers to cover the same content.

Other than accommodating a bit of exam cramming (sorry, preparation) before each of the three papers, so possibly a slight advantage to those who can briefly retain chunks of information for each unit paper, I can't see why anyone would want to subject their pupils to three papers instead of two.

Am I missing something?

7. DM

DM New commenter

They have already sold textbooks which are organised in this way.

8. How naive of me to miss that point. Although I am sure they will use this latest change to try and sell more new textbooks!

So there no substantial difference in benefit to the pupil to following one spec over the other?

9. Elrond
    Like Edexcel, AQA will continue to offer our three unit specification (4360) alongside the linear, two paper specification (4365 ). Our reasons for this are as follows
    • The three unit structure allows teachers to choose the tier of entry for each unit, which may be a benefit to some students. In linear specifications, both papers have to be taken at the same tier
    • Schools, teachers and students are familiar with the unitised structure and the content of the three units
    • Linear and unitised specifications have different weightings of non-calculator assessment (40% and 33% respectively in our case but this varies across awarding bodies)
    As we are not a publisher, matching to existing textbooks is not an issue for us.
    For information, on the same subject, Ofqual has now confirmed that November 2013 will be the last time that earlier unit results can be used to certificate (ie the last modular opportunity).
    Although November is often referred to as a re-sit opportunity, it remains possible for a first entry in the subject to be made at this time.
    There will be no GCSE exams in January or March 2014, unless the January series is retained for an extended linked pair pilot
    Best Wishes
    Andrew Taylor
    Head of Mathematics
    AQA

10. Does anyone know what OCR are planning?

Thanks!