1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

GCSE pupils just not working!

Discussion in 'Art and design' started by Smithsboy, Oct 23, 2018.

1. Smithsboy

Smithsboy New commenter

Experienced teacher here, good track record of getting results but pulling my hair out with a group of GCSE pupils who are simply not working with the urgency needed in the second year and are doing very little in between lessons. We are only 6 weeks in but such is the need to meet deadlines I am already worrying. I have a particular problem in that half the class are international boarders and that capacity to get parents on board to cajole and check just is not there. Head of boarding admits they are not doing enough generally.

All nice kids but so, so lazy, with a certain amount of expectation and entitlement, without breaking the sweat required. I know this is an ever -increasing malaise and I am really just venting, but any new takes on it?

2. Mrs Grumpy

Mrs Grumpy New commenter

No magic advice, but I simply pinned up a load of their work, and told 'em what grade they (wouldn't) get, and why, and what they'd need to do to pull themselves out of the poo "- did I care? Did I heck! " If they were going to idle, no skin off my nose, but what they needed to look at was .... showed them images of previous good sets of work & responses, told them what THEY needed to do, and hours when room would be available.
    Crossed fingers behind poker face .... it worked with four, not with the other five.

3. Smithsboy

Smithsboy New commenter

Thanks, started grading each of their exam pages actually. I have found myself taking a very matter of fact approach, which feels great. Emailed all parents with deadlines etc and told them in no uncertain terms how important it is to be in everyday, to be working at home etc. They have all been warned. Everything is in place for them to do well if they want to work hard - if not, no skin off my nose is correct!