1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

GCSE past paper analysis

Discussion in 'Secondary' started by emmam25, Sep 29, 2019.

1. emmam25

emmam25 New commenter

Hi,

I'm looking for a way to analyse student performance in past papers (specifically Cie IGCSE Science) to identify their key areas of weakness in terms of both subject knowledge and skills.

I'm thinking it will take the form of some sort of excel spreadsheet. Into which I can input their marks for individual questions and it will refer to a database of past papers topics and skills but does anyone know of anything that already exists to do this?

It's a large undertaking but I think it would be a useful resource moving forward so worth the time investment.

Thanks if you have any ideas!

2. Corvuscorax

Corvuscorax Star commenter

its not a large undertaking, its been standard practice for years,you just need to be careful with the headings in your columns, and if a question covers more than one topic, you need to spilt it into two columns, and if a question is irrelevant for any future questions, leave it out, or cal it independent thinking.

3. Corvuscorax

4. Corvuscorax

does that help? (I deliberately spelt some words wrong to fit them in the columns without making the formatting too unyeildy.)

of course a real one would be 20 questions long and 30 students deep, and you would have 10-20 topics to total up at the end.

You can do it on a spread sheet, and make the totals add up automatically, and RAG rate certain percentages, or you can do it at the back of your register or in you planning book, and colour bits in yourself with colouring pencils.

The important thing to remember is that this is a useful tool UP TO A POINT. some questions are difficult because of the way they are phrased, rather than the topic they cover.

It is worth spending time doing this and using this, but dont spend hours and hours trying to make it perfect, because it never can be, Its just a guide

Bill8899 likes this.
  5. peakster

peakster Star commenter

All you need is your students data and data from the exam board.

We've just carried out a very detailed analysis of our students performance in the Summer exams just gone.

Very interesting it was too.

6. strawbs

strawbs Established commenter

have a look on your exam board website as they may have templates pre done

7. NIHistoryTeacher

NIHistoryTeacher New commenter

Or, as you’re marking them you can jot down the key areas causing difficulty. Do you really need a spreadsheet to tell you what’s in front of your own eyes? If a topic keeps on causing problems do you really not trust yourself to remember? Sometimes the biggest workload challenge in teaching is teachers themselves.

Boardingmaster likes this.
  8. CandysDog

CandysDog Occasional commenter

A lot of exam board extranets, like e-AQA or the WJEC Secure Website, already supply this information, if you know where to look (I don’t know if CIE do).

One thing to look out for is national averages and to always compare your results to them. It may be that your students perform lower on a certain question/skill, but if everyone does that doesn’t really tell you much.