1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

GCSE Paper 1 support

Discussion in 'English' started by cleobud, Jan 29, 2019.

1. cleobud

cleobud New commenter

My son is an able student and passed his English language mock, but he scored very low in the 40 mark description/story writing. He's following the AQA syllabus. His handwriting is legible but some letters look like capitals due to his handwriting. His sentences don't flow well and he says he doesn't know how to plan his writing.
    What are the best websites/books to support him with this until his exams?

2. roamingteacher

roamingteacher Established commenter Forum guide

You could try Quill for the mechanics but really he needs someone giving feedback on his writing. He could join a community like any of these: https://www.fractuslearning.com/sites-for-student-writing/
    I would definitely start with his teacher though (if you haven't already). A keen student who wants to improve - I don't think there are many teachers who wouldn't be willing to help someone like that.

Mrsmumbles likes this.
  3. Mrsmumbles

Mrsmumbles Star commenter

He needs to start reading good fiction to see how they do it. He could start to acquire more vocabulary...synonyms for sunsets, sunrises, darkness, light, fear, excitement...really go for ramping up expressive range. Google has a great online thesaurus system. You type in the word followed by ‘meaning’ and lots of options come up. The punctuation can be improved by using any of the many online tutorials...even the EFl ones designed for learners are really good ways to guard kids against misuses of commas and semi colons, comma splicing and so on. He should also work in planning...have a go at knocking out a really clear story mountain plan in five minutes which covers: introduction, development, high climax point, twist in the tale, resolution. I get my students to plan it as a diagram and write bunkered plot details below the line and jot down key words, phrases and creative features they want to include in each section above it. It’s basically a much more compressed and showcased version of usual creative writing. The descriptive option doesn’t expect the kids to scene or time shift, develop character or include dialogue, so there is usually an option to just describe the image, but ideally he should be prepared both for descriptive and narrative writing.

splittinghairs likes this.
  4. cleobud

cleobud New commenter

Thank you very much for the advice.

5. roamingteacher

roamingteacher Established commenter Forum guide

6. Mrsmumbles

Mrsmumbles Star commenter

Um...it is bad typing, is what it is...! I meant EFL, English as a Foreign Language. Hope you find some nice resources.