1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

GCSE or iGCSE as external candidates for tutees

Discussion in 'Modern foreign languages' started by BristolLanguages, Jul 24, 2015.

1. BristolLanguages

BristolLanguages New commenter

Hello there, hope you´re all having a great and relaxing summer.

I am planning to organise lessons in Spanish and French for home educated kids in my area. I want to offer tuition so they can take a GCSE or iGCSE test. I have just started looking into the different ways of doing it as an external candidate. I would welcome information from any of you who has had previous experience of doing this. I have a couple of questions:

* Which board is more convenient. For instance, with external candidates it's easier to coordinate one exam in one day, rather than different pieces of coursework, etc. I am familiar with AQA, not so much with the others or the iGCSEs.

* I was thinking of approaching local secondary schools to see if they would let my students sit the tests at their centre paying them the entry fee. Is this something you did in the past, is there a more logical convenient way of doing it that you know about? The cost is also important, in my old school the examination officer let me see the price per entry and it was really cheap about 11 pounds or so per student, however, private companies are charging about 100 or 200 pounds just for the privilege of sitting the exam!

PS: I am just asking for practical information on the best way and the best board to enter exams for external candidates. I would appreciate that people with strong opinions about "home education" refrain from commenting on this post. Thanks.

2. GordonNome

GordonNome New commenter

Not sure if local schools would be happy to have your students as external candidates - would it count towards their league tables? You may have more success if you ask FE colleges.

Also, if the students are home educated then you may want to ask if the GCSE/iGCSE is the best qualification for them. For German at least there are Goethe Institute exams available for young people. I would advise home educated students to consider those instead as they are internationally recognised and comply with the Common European Framework.

I don't believe there is an exact equivalent for French, but there may be for Spanish - may be worth checking the Instituto Cervantes.

3. Malaguena

Malaguena New commenter

External candidates or private candidates don't count towards the school league tables, so that wouldn't worry them. If you are on good terms with your former exams officer, I don't see why they wouldn't let your students sit their exams there for the small fee quoted. I don't think UK schools are meant to offer IGCSE exams though - their is an equivalent called the AQA /Edexcel Certificate in MFL that they can sit. It's untiered and all exam so that might be suitable.